Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Can India download only "free" apps?

I received support case from customer from India that when he tries to download full version of my application it shows "Sorry, this application is not available in your language". Free-trial version is downloadable without any problem.
    My application has only english interface, but it is submitted to Ovi (and approved by QA) to be available for all languages and countries (except China). What is wrong here?

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Can India download only "free" apps?

Check the map at http://www.forum.nokia.com/Distribut...xhtml#article2 and the list of operators underneath. If your customer is not using the Reliance network then the only option left to him is CC and ... free content. I'm not sure what is the CC coverage status in India though.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Quote Originally Posted by ltomuta View Post
    Check the map at http://www.forum.nokia.com/Distribut...xhtml#article2 and the list of operators underneath. If your customer is not using the Reliance network then the only option left to him is CC and ... free content. I'm not sure what is the CC coverage status in India though.
    It's really nice matrix but as I can see most of people in india can't buy my game evan if it is in price level 1.

Anybody from ovi staff can you plz explain situation with distribution in india ?

1/4 of my customers from india clicked buy full version ( I use goo.gl as tracking for opening ovi store url )
    but I can's see any real payment from india in ovi store statistics
    Last edited by xlazom00; 2011-03-02 at 01:11.

Let's hope that Ovi team can offer more insight on this. If not, send them an email.

You could also ask on the general discussion forum of this DiBo for some fellow developers from India to give your app a try and overall, give you some info about the market there.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Quote Originally Posted by ltomuta View Post
    Let's hope that Ovi team can offer more insight on this. If not, send them an email.

You could also ask on the general discussion forum of this DiBo for some fellow developers from India to give your app a try and overall, give you some info about the market there.

OVI team answer ?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
    plz more info about India market

Hi developer 123-

I also had the same user feedback for a paid application I have. Finally received word from Ovi Support that only Reliance subscribers can purchase paid applications. Credit card billing was available at some time but has since been removed.

Would suggest you add another distribution channel to market your paid app for India users.

-C$

Regular Contributor

From Wikipedia, it looks like Reliance has about 22% of Indian mobile subscribers (128M) of which about 23% (30M) are GSM.

Can anyone comment as to where Reliance fits in the Indian mobile ecosystem? Are they high-end - i.e. high percentage of smartphone users?

As far as I am aware of Indian Mobile subscribers scenerio, Reliance is an operator catering more to the masses,. In that sense, I would not believe them to have too many subscribers who own smartphones. That segment is more covered by Airtel and Vodafone. So I am not surprisedif you dont make too much sales.

The above is purely my personal opinion and observation as somebody who has lived there till the recent past. I cannot substiante it with stats.

Super Contributor

I have an indian employee. I have sent him this, and hope that he can find sth out
    The lines above are the best I have to offer.If anyone of you is of more advanced knowledge, I ask for your patience and understanding! - unknown arab poet
    http://www.tamoggemon.com - Symbian blog - Windows Phone blog
    My other blogs:
    webOS blog iPhone blog BlackBerry blog Samsung bada blog Android blog

Regular Contributor

tam, I am looking forward to your employee's findings. I receive emails each day from indian people who want to purchase products but Ovi store offers only free items to them. At the moment we overgo this problem by bypassing Ovi store for these customers.

Super Contributor

Hi,
    let's quote Jatinder:
    1. reliance is a bullshit carrier who caters to people who mostly have dumbfones. also, it is one of the pathetic carriers whose signal quality is subpar
    2. the competitor with the masses is TATA, a fucking huge business house. it has launched GSM services with NTT DoCoMo.
    3. the real players in the GSM market are Airtel, Vodafone, and Idea.
    4. sadly, i do not have a symbian phone anymore, so i can not test if i can purchase via credit card or not.
    6. There is another carrier Aircel (not airtel) which has an app store of its own. but they mostly have shitty java apps, both free ans paid.
    The lines above are the best I have to offer.If anyone of you is of more advanced knowledge, I ask for your patience and understanding! - unknown arab poet
    http://www.tamoggemon.com - Symbian blog - Windows Phone blog
    My other blogs:
    webOS blog iPhone blog BlackBerry blog Samsung bada blog Android blog