Discussion Board

Question Camera visibility and Resolution issue

Hi all,

CAMERA PROBLEM:

In J2me The following code is working with firmware 32.001.

To play video in canvas, the video does not display: it runs through all states perfectly, gives no exceptions, and confirms it has STARTED but does not display:

With the latest firmware 62.00 following code is not working properly as camera remains disappeared still it is working with low resolution.

has anyone come across this?

Bridge API is also unable to fix this issue.

player.start();
    videoControl.setVisible(true);

OR

player.start();

VIDEO RESOLUTION::Resolution of video is not satisfying whereas the camera is capable to capture good quality if video (640x480).

Works well on my Nokia C5 :- player = Manager.createPlayer("capture://video?encoding=video/mp4&width=320&height=240");

but when i am trying to improve its resolution by the following Codes it does not work with or without "API Bridge.".

Why not :-player = Manager.createPlayer("capture://video?encoding=video/mp4&width=640&height=480");

Can anybody help ??

Thanks in advance
    Abhinav

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: Camera visibility and Resolution issue

If I read your post correctly, you never mention the device which you have problems with (yes, you mention C5, but it seems related to another problem). So, on what device you have the first problem? C5?

What comes to the video resolutions on C5, it is possible that 320x240 is the highest you can have on that device (although I am not certain on this...)

Hartti

Hi everybody,

Requirement:I need full Camera Support(SNAPSHOT:2048x1536 with 300 dpi and VIDEO : 640x480 with full resolution just like Nokia C5 main camera does ) to my application in J2ME on NOKIA C5 (Firmware 62.001).

Language:J2ME

Device :NOKIA C5

Firmware v62.001 ,The latest One.

PROBLEM HISTORY: The camera code is working with firmware 32.001 but resolution is worthless so I updated my Nokia C5 with latest firmware v62.001.

But To Capture video/images , The Camera does not display in my Canvas or Form : whether It captures video/images but you never know what is going to be captured as camera is not visible to you.

It runs through all states perfectly and gives no exceptions.Eventually Now you have the captured video/images but it is useless due to its poor resolution and smaller size (SNAPSHOT:2048x1536 with 90 dpi

and VIDEO : 320x240) than the camera is capable to capture better quality (SNAPSHOT:2048x1536 with 300 dpi and VIDEO : 640x480 with full resolution )of video/images directly.

As I Done:

1)Bridge API is also unable to fix this issue.

2) The following code is responsible to start the camera and show it into the canvas or form.

player.start(); //Starts the camera succesfully.
    videoControl.setVisible(true); //This line was working in old firmware (32.001) but it suddenly close the entire Application in latest firmWare 62.001 .So you must not to use it that's why camera is not visible to you.

OR //either the order of these two statement it raises the same problem.

player.start();

VIDEO RESOLUTION::Resolution of video is not satisfying whereas the camera is capable to capture good quality if video (640x480).

Works well on my Nokia C5 :- player = Manager.createPlayer("capture://video?encoding=video/mp4&width=320&height=240");

but when i am trying to improve its resolution by the following Codes it does not work with or without "API Bridge.".

Why not :-player = Manager.createPlayer("capture://video?encoding=video/mp4&width=640&height=480");

Can anybody help ??

Nokia Developer Champion

If player = Manager.createPlayer("capture://video?encoding=video/mp4&width=640&height=480"); is not working and player = Manager.createPlayer("capture://video?encoding=video/mp4&width=320&height=240"); is working - it looks to be heap memory issue, the device is not able to provide the required to heap to your midlet to capture the hi-res video or even create the Video window... and closes the entire app on the latest firmware.
    thanks,
    ~Amitabh
    (Champion of the Month -Aug'13)
    Follow me on my blog for Innovative Mobile Apps

Nokia Developer Champion

Here is the FN library information for Symbian implementation of MMAPI
    http://library.forum.nokia.com/topic...7383517AA.html
    I think the video resolution 320x240 is the highest you can get.

Why are you talking about dpi's in here? The pixel resolution is what matters in the camera images. So does the image you get have a resolution of 2048x1536 or is it something lower?

Hartti

Hi All,

Requirement: We need Camera Support in our J2ME application with requirement of SNAPSHOT:2048x1536(Resolution) with 300 dpi and VIDEO : 640x480 (Resolution). just like Nokia C5 built-in camera application does.

Platform: J2ME

Device :NOKIA C5

Firmware : v62.001 (The latest One).

PROBLEM HISTORY: We are developing an application for nokia C5 using J2me platform.The camera code is working with firmware 32.001 but resolution is not useful so we updated our Nokia C5 to latest firmware v62.001.

To Capture video/images , the Camera does not display in my "Canvas" or "Form", it captures video/images but you never know what is going to be captured as camera's vision/view is not available on the screen. This was working correctly with firmware v32.001

It runs through all stages alright and gives no exceptions. Eventually we get the captured video/images but it has poor resolution SNAPSHOT:2048x1536 with 90 dpi and VIDEO : 320x240 where as the camera is capable of capturing better quality (SNAPSHOT:2048x1536 with 300 dpi and VIDEO : 640x480 with full resolution )of video/images directly.

2) The following code is responsible to start the camera and show it into the canvas or form.

player.start(); //Starts the camera succesfully.
    videoControl.setVisible(true); //This line was working in old firmware (32.001) but it suddenly close the entire Application in latest firmWare 62.001 .So you must not to use it that's why camera is not visible to you.

OR //either the order of these two statement it raises the same problem.

player.start();

API BRIDGE:

We also tried to use the API Bridge to invoke the native camera application by follwing code ,it opens camera
    well but resolution problem remains as it is.So send us the complete code for camera in j2me.

private void takePhoto()
    {
    System.out.println("Taking a photo ...");
    tbox.append("Taking a photo ...");

final NewFileService service = (NewFileService)bridge.createService("service.newfileservice");

Thread thread = new Thread()
    {
    public void run()
    {
    try
    {
    Hashtable filter = new Hashtable();
    filter.put("NewFileType", "Image");

BridgeResult res = service.TakePhoto(filter);
    System.out.println("BridgeResult");

Hashtable returnValue = (Hashtable)res.getReturnValue();
    tbox.append("Source: " + returnValue.get("src").toString());

System.out.println(res);
    }
    catch(BridgeException ex)
    {
    tbox.append("Bridge error occured - unable to retrieve data. " + ex.getMessage());
    }
    catch(Exception ex)
    {
    tbox.append("General error occured - unable to retrieve data. " + ex.getMessage());
    }

}
    };

thread.start();
    }
    }

Thanks in advance
    Dileep

I developed one camera application running it on Nokia C5.

Camera is working but the view of the camera is in different direction with bad resolution. (Like Yellowish color)

Please help me out to improve resolution and the problem with view of the cam.

Note : This problem is with only Nokia C5. Other handsets like E-5 , 2700 the camera is working fine.

Thanks