Discussion Board

Question [moved] Do I need the Smart Installer?

I have Nokia Qt SDK, latest version, with all updates Ok (I think so), and my sis files are created ok, when I press the run button. I will replace the default ID created in the pro file with the one provided by Nokia signing program. Do I have to worry about doing something with the smart installer, or my sis file is ok to send to publish ? I dont use QtMobility. My file is about 160Kb.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: [moved] Do I need the Smart Installer?

Please start a new thread for each new problem. You have a very good question but it makes no sense in the context of the previous thread while, on its onw, it is missing some details.

Which SDK version you have?
    Ovi Store accepts applications developed with Nokia Qt SDK 1.0.2 but does not yet support distribution of apps developed with the Qt SDK 1.1 beta.

Which devices do you plan to sell your application too?
    Current Symbian^3 device firmwares have Qt 4.6.3 preinstalled but do not have Qt Mobility.
    Symbian^1 and older devices do not have Qt 4.6.3 in their firmware so for your application to work you will need Qt and Qt Mobility delivered to them.

Do I need Smart Installer?
    It all depends on the question above. If you plan to sell your application for devices which require Qt or Qt Mobility to be deployed to them, then you must package your application with the Smart Installer, as instructed at http://doc.qt.nokia.com/smart-installer/index.html
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Hi Itomuta, thanks for your answer.

I have downloaded Nokia Qt SDK 1.0, and since I've already run the updater several times, I should have by now the 1.0.2 version. Updater is telling me I have Smart Installer 0.9.9-2 and a available new version 0.9.9-3.

My app is being tested in Nokia mobile C-7, so Symbian^3 should be my first target plataform. But it would be better if I also could target the Symbian^1 plataform, so I guess Smart Installer package is the way to go. The link you provided has very useful information, wich I'm reading carefully.

Thanks for your patience, I'm a newbie in the forum and in mobile development, I'm migrating from Qt desktop, and thinks are somewhat different in the mobile enviroment.

All the best
    John

Hello again

Please bear with me, after a lot of reading I have some doubts. I have received 3 UID's from Nokia:
    - developer certificate;
    - developer key;
    - developer certificate installer.

1) In here http://doc.qt.nokia.com/smart-instal...r-signing.html point 4. ) I should replace the TARGET.UID3 value in the file myapp.pro with the developer certificate value, right ?

2) In the lines

"C:/nokiaqtapps/app/app.sis" -
    "c:\private\2002CCCE\import\app.sis"

should I replace "c" wth "!" ? and why ? (I saw this in other forum post).

3) In here
    http://doc.qt.nokia.com/smart-instal...vi-signed.html
    points 3) and 4) I don't have a ovicert.cer and ovidevcert.key, Nokia only send to me the above mentioned 3 UID's. What to do ?

Also I come to the conclusion that for publishing Qt apps it's mandatory to use the smart installer and signed the app at least with Ovi Publish signing.

Best regards
    Joao

Quote Originally Posted by john_god View Post
    Hello again

Please bear with me, after a lot of reading I have some doubts. I have received 3 UID's from Nokia:
    - developer certificate;
    - developer key;
    - developer certificate installer.

1) In here http://doc.qt.nokia.com/smart-instal...r-signing.html point 4. ) I should replace the TARGET.UID3 value in the file myapp.pro with the developer certificate value, right ?
    TARGET.UID3 must be set to one of the UIDs provided by Ovi Publishing, a value starting with 0x2... Mark this value down as used and use the other two in your next applications. When running out of UIDs, ask for more from Ovi.

2) In the lines

"C:/nokiaqtapps/app/app.sis" -
    "c:\private\2002CCCE\import\app.sis"

should I replace "c" wth "!" ? and why ? (I saw this in other forum post)
    There is no need to touch that. In general, do not touch any of the files gnerated by Qt
    3) In here
    http://doc.qt.nokia.com/smart-instal...vi-signed.html
    points 3) and 4) I don't have a ovicert.cer and ovidevcert.key, Nokia only send to me the above mentioned 3 UID's. What to do ?
    The UIDs are numbers, like 0xE??????? (you have one already generated by Qt in your project) or 0x2???????. Ovi should have provided you a number of them. If they didn't, send them an email and ask for it.
    - developer certificate installer = a *.sis file which you must install on your phone in order to enable signing with the developer certificate
    - developer certificate = a file with *.cer *.der or whatever extension
    - developer key = the private key of the electronic certificate.
    You have to set the certificate and the key files in Qt Creator's Projects (your project's signing options for Symbian) or use the command line tools.

Also I come to the conclusion that for publishing Qt apps it's mandatory to use the smart installer and signed the app at least with Ovi Publish signing.

Best regards
    Joao
    That is a good enough conclusion.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

I checked again the email from Nokia, and I totally missed a attach zip file with a file.key, file.crt and file.sis (ok, shame on me, I'm punishing myself right know ).

Just to clear things, the 3 UID's supplied are all with 0x20.....

Ok , just a few more questions: (so you can make a wiki out of this )
    1) is it ok, if I change the name of the files key, crt, and sis ? I'm guessing I can use them for different projects, since I only have one of them, contrary to the 3 UID's.
    2) Originally I only provide to Nokia 1 IMEI from a non touch phone (Nokia E71), but now I have a new touch phone ( Nokia C7 ) , wich is my primary development device. The files provided by Nokia, have any relation with the IMEI ? Should I provide Nokia the new IMEI ?

Thanks for your patience
    Joao

I checked again the email from Nokia, and I totally missed a attach zip file with a file.key, file.crt and file.sis (ok, shame on me, I'm punishing myself right know ).

Just to clear things, the 3 UID's supplied are all with 0x20.....
    Yep, those are the ones. Each application will need one so you are OK for your next 3 project to be published in the store.

Ok , just a few more questions: (so you can make a wiki out of this )
    1) is it ok, if I change the name of the files key, crt, and sis ? I'm guessing I can use them for different projects, since I only have one of them, contrary to the 3 UID's.
    Yes, the certificates are generic, you can use them to sign all your projects but do mind the validity date (three month IIRC).
    2) Originally I only provide to Nokia 1 IMEI from a non touch phone (Nokia E71), but now I have a new touch phone ( Nokia C7 ) , wich is my primary development device. The files provided by Nokia, have any relation with the IMEI ? Should I provide Nokia the new IMEI ?
    Yes, the ceriticate received will only work on the device for which you have provided the IMEI. Make sure to send them both to Ovi and request an updated certificate which would cover them both.
    Also, if you want to use your application with the devices in the RDA service please read this: Easier way to get a devcert for RDA devices
    -- Lucian

Well, after some struggling I finally create a certificade app_installer.sis. From this I tried to set the vendor name in the file.pro, but all I got was a line parsing error, ( btw there's a link there that seems important but it's broken ) , so I set the vendor name directly in the app_installer.pkg and app_template.pkg. I tried other threads in this forum but all I got has errors.

Something is not clear tought. I was only able to install the certificate app in the nokia E71, because of the IMEI. I already request a new certificate for the C7 IMEI. Can I put the app to publish now, or should I wait for the new certificate, and teste it first (since my app is best suited for C7 touch phones). Does it make any difference ?

Also the vendor name must match the ovi publish login right ?

Best regards
    Joao

The vendor name must match ... your vendor name. I.e. the name of your company, or your own name if you are operating as an individual publisher. If you get parsing errors when following the guidance provided in the blog post ... fix them. It is likely a copy paste error, or a mismatch in the handling of the quotation marks.

You can use the RDA service, indicated above, to test the application on a C7 or any other Symbian^3 device. The C7 device is 3 generations apart from E71 so you can't simply assume that the application will fully work as is. Also, you cannot publish an app for devices in a certain platform release (e.g. S^3) without stating that you have fully tested the app on at least one device based on that platform release. Based on the E71 test you can claim that the app will work on all S60 3.1 device, but not on S60 3.2, 5.0 or S^3.
    -- Lucian

Thanks again for your replay. I've fully tested on the C7 symbian^3, but only as self signed. About the RDA services and setting the vendor name in the file.pro, I will get there later, for now I need to calm down, has I still enjoing my first victory on running Nokia certificade app It takes time for a newbie to assimilate all the knolegde...

Regards
    Joao

Just to share my experience with the forum, I had error's when creating a certificate .sis file, because I was using in the vendor name the character "ã" (without quotes) . I had to replace it with "a" and then everything was ok.