Discussion Board

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: How you promote your Ovi app?

Yep, radeknati...

I'm not seriously considering to use either one. Just wanted to bring this up, because I kindly asked OVI support if it was possible to remove this review because it was really bad for my game. They answered that since there was a possibility to undertand that the game ends after level 2, they will not remove this review. I utilized the industrys standards in the ad and button placements. Luckily, only 2 people out of 2000 did not understand that the "skip" means skip the ad and continue the game. One being the person who wrote the review and the other the person at OVI support that decided that the review was justified. Then again, why blame the reviews if the game is not good enough...

Quote Originally Posted by onedeveloper View Post
    This is very interesting information. Are you saying that you still get significant revenue portion from other application stores than Nokia Ovi Store?
    Sounds like it is better to to submit the application to as many stores as possible, even if Symbian signing costs 200 USD. At the moment we are only on Nokia Ovi Store.
    Well, none of my app revenue has been "significant", at least compared to my partners revenue with the same apps on blackBerry, and ios...
    But yes, up until about a month ago the revenue from mobihand and handango combined was more than on Ovi. They are also much easier to deal with than Ovi, easy to submit and describe with no major limitations on descriptions and screen shots, the apps get published within 48hours too...
    You have full control over upgrading applications for all purchasers, including paid update notifications, full access to purchasers information including email, the ability to get rid of bogus reviews, real time purchase stats with REAL revenue numbers, real time updating, etc, etc... The way it should be...
    Be sure to sign up for the "deal of the day" on mobi too.
    Handango (or appia I think its called now) have free signing for symbian apps too... you have nothing to lose but some of your time to sign up, might as well go for it...
    Cheers,
    Jon

There is another problem with Ovi and negative reviews. For example if someone wrote an issue in your application, when you'll fix the issue and upload new application review still there
    Symbian & Qt developer. http://vladest.org

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by vladest View Post
    There is another problem with Ovi and negative reviews. For example if someone wrote an issue in your application, when you'll fix the issue and upload new application review still there
    Yes, this is bad. Author of application should have a possibility to put contra-review (add comment to review - some of them are untrue or unfair). It's really cut your wings (I don't know if that expression exists in English, I'm from Poland) when you see review like that: junk. beware this app And I cannot do nothing with this...

I just lost one 5 star review probably because there was no sensible text in the field only "lkdfw" text was written.

Regular Contributor

YES, designers of OVI STORE SITE, if you hear us, please - give developers opportunity to react on comments that people write under our apps

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by OviStewey View Post
    You can use this link to promote your app...
    Hi OviStewey-

How can a publisher get "Spotlight and Promotion" banners into rotation on the OVI store? Are they always in rotation subject to the customer's search terms or viewed products?

Quote Originally Posted by proberts View Post
    Hi OviStewey-

How can a publisher get "Spotlight and Promotion" banners into rotation on the OVI store? Are they always in rotation subject to the customer's search terms or viewed products?
    I would like to know this too.

As for the unjustified reviews, I seriously think there should be a way to remove them. I find those "unable to install" one star reviews really annoying, especially considering the fact that they have nothing to do with the app itself, but more with Nokia. Also, as I've pointed out in my blog, I'm convinced that by having a way for the end user to contact the developers, many of these so called reviews could be avoided. However, I did just receive the following email, so maybe something is happening in this front:

We appreciate your feedback that end users should be able to contact developers
    directly. Unfortunately at this time developers email and support website is
    not visible for end users and our development team is aware of this and working
    on it. We will definitely evaluate your request and see if the development team
    can deploy this feature in future releases of Ovi Store.
    Hopefully they will not only evaluate it, but also do something about it.

But coming back to those misleading reviews, there should be away to remove them or at least comment on them.

Cheers
    http://www.ic-mobile.com/

Regular Contributor

Maybe we make a list with changes that Nokia should apply to Ovi Store - the changes will concern tools and tips to create promoting actions about apps in Ovi. My proposals:

1. Add possibility to publisher to react on customer's revision/comment under app
    2. Give more place on app's description
    3. Add place in Ovi Store of best selling items of the day/week/month
    4. Add place in Ovi Store for random apps
    5. Link to facebook with "I like it" on each app site

Regular Contributor

FB Like button is a good idea! (Though I don't think Nokia would ever do it.. it seems like Nokia won't do anything that connects OVI to the rest of the web.) And epanded description would be great. Like iTunes would be fine - where there's a 'more' button that expands the information.

6. Way for customer to get support - email or link to developer's support site
    7. Full-size screen shots
    8. Video previews (or embed/link YouTube or OVI Share videos)
    9. Cross-link products (i.e. free/demo version <-> premium version )
    10. Maintain <br/> formatting in descriptions
    12. RSS website apps get own category
    13. Related apps better results, especially some from the same publisher
    14. Remove or hide (with expander) nonsense/not-applicable reviews.
    15. Isolate reviews and ratings by language. If a product is only available in English, reviewers using other languages shouldn't be allowed to rate (# stars) the product. If a product is marked for distribution only in one language, and people who don't speak that language rate the app low because they don't understand how to use it , that's not a fair evaluation of the app.)
    Last edited by proberts; 2011-03-12 at 01:29.

Nokia Developer Expert

HI

The one thing you need to do is provide the necessary uploads for your content (screenshots of different sizes) that are optional when you upload content. These would be needed to promote your app.

Thanks

HI

The one thing you need to do is provide the necessary uploads for your content (screenshots of different sizes) that are optional when you upload content. These would be needed to promote your app.

Thanks
    Is there a particular reason why promotions.ovi.com/snac/omt does not create any of the banner sizes required by Ovi Spotlight & Promotion?
    http://www.ic-mobile.com/

Regular Contributor

We've got 15 points to improve Ovi Store. I don't understand why Nokia is afraid of make these differences - if we sold more apps, Nokia would earn more money. And everyone is happy then.

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by radeknati View Post
    We've got 15 points to improve Ovi Store. I don't understand why Nokia is afraid of make these differences - if we sold more apps, Nokia would earn more money. And everyone is happy then.
    Why do you assume that Nokia would be afraid for making improvements to Ovi Store?

I should assume that Nokia does have an internal roadmap and list of requirements for changes or new features, that they are working on according to their internal prioritization and schedule. I don't know whether any of the ideas listed here are already on Nokia's to-do (or at least to-consider) list of things, or not. (Nokia hasn't been very open publicly regarding forthcoming functionality in upcoming releases, and when any new Ovi Store releases are coming at all.)

Regular Contributor

Hi OviStewey-

Where do I upload screenshots of different sizes? (I'm only aware of the three screen shots under Images on the content pages which are 192x192 with additional scaled versions automatically generated.)

Thanks