Discussion Board

Promotion codes (or coupons) for paid applications?

Is there a way to create a promotion code or coupon for a paid application and to give this code to a person so that s(he) can download my paid program for free? This will be very nice for giving free copies of the program to reviewers without risking with sending unprotected sis file that can be pirated very easy and without trust issues with reviewers, which may hesitate to install a program that is not coming directly from Ovi store.

Regular Contributor

Re: Promotion codes (or coupons) for paid applications?

I'm looking for this as well.

Besides what's said above it is useful for giving users another chance to download if something failed.

Super Contributor

No support for any kind of promption/activation/registration codes for applications or any other content in Ovi Store.

Nokia has also not published any roadmap for such features (not even that they're working on such a thing, so no timeframe for its possible appearance, either).

So, if you need to do something like this now, either publish both a free and paid version in Ovi Store separately, or distribute review or promo versions by sending them the installation package separate (e.g., via email, or through your own web site; publishing through Ovi Store does not require mandate that you only distribute your content via Ovi Store).

Like suggested by petrib you could just email them a copy.
    I have done just that, and to be sure my app couldn't be traded I did the following;
    I asked the user for their IMEI number, then made a small routine in main using QSystemDeviceInfo that checks to verify the IMEI number of the phone, if the number doesn't match then the app wont run.
    Of course the app will also only be self signed...
    Just a thought!
    Cheers,
    Jon

Regular Contributor

There are alternatives, of course, but they aren't as good. Another odd Ovi omission. Thanks for the suggestions!

Good idea. And if you have the IMEI you can use Symbian Signed Online if you can't use self signed.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Heron View Post
    Like suggested by petrib you could just email them a copy.
    I have done just that, and to be sure my app couldn't be traded I did the following;
    I asked the user for their IMEI number, then made a small routine in main using QSystemDeviceInfo that checks to verify the IMEI number of the phone, if the number doesn't match then the app wont run.
    Of course the app will also only be self signed...
    Just a thought!
    Cheers,
    Jon