Discussion Board

Phone as an authentication token device

Hi,

I'm investigating the possibility of using a phone for the purposes of authenticating the identity of a person at a laptop using an IrDA connection (point and fire type of thing).

I want to know if it is possible to use an IrDA connection between a laptop and a Nokia phone to access crypto functions on the phone to generate a digital signature (proof of possesion of a private key stored on the SIM). I'm looking for the laptop to initiate the connection with the phone and the user seeing a message request them to authenticate him/her self, then entering a PIN at which point the signature is generated and returned to the laptop.

From my investigations so far, looks like the PC connectivity won't do it, but using WAP push type stuff might do this.

Possible? Has anybody considered it/done anything similar? Are there any other possibilities?

Thanks,

Marc.

Nokia Developer Moderator
    Hi

The idea sounds really interesting and very usable, Maybe you should consider using Bluetooth as an alternative connection method, to make it more easy to be used by users that have BT connections in their laptor.

Anywy for irda, search this discussion group and you can find some very nice example code for connecting phones to pc via Irda, I have seen the same code in two different treads here, so you should be able to find it quite easily. Fot BT you can find examples in SDK.

You'll also find out that there is no public API for accessing SIM card, so you should maybe forget storing any data there, but why not store it encrypted in phones memory.

yucca

The main problem seems to be the crypto-api for generating a signature on the phone. I want to use crypto functions too, but nokia removed all headers for the private crypto api. So i have no access to RSA Signature classes on symbian series 60. I asked in the nokia Forum how to get access to the cryptalg symbian cryptography api (namely the headers) but no one replied. Its sad to see a cryptalg.lib in the sdk but still have no headers to access it.

Maybe some NOKIA engineer can finally give a statement to this whole situation!!
    How can i gain access to the series 60 crypto api?

regards

Christoph

HI poulaum,

I have done exactly the same thing on Series 60 Devices ( Nokia 3650). Mail me 0xbeefdead@gmail.com if you are still interested in this topic.

regards
    0xf8

I have such solution (mobile as authentication token device). In my solution SIM card keeps private key RSA. The connection between PC and handset is done by IRDA, Bluetooth or cable. If you are interested, write: emobil@emobil.net.pl