Discussion Board

Localization, best practice to maximize revenue

Hello All,

I have an app that I have localized into Spanish and English. I followed the documentation for Qt to make the app automatically change to Spanish if the phones native language is Spanish and vise versa for English. Ovi allows you to add your translated description, banner, etc to the same content item so thats what I did.
    I am wondering now if that was the best approach, I have no way of knowing if a Spanish speaking person bought my app or not.
    I noticed zero increase in sales when I released the localized version with the localized descriptions... This makes me wonder if localization is worth it?
    I also wonder if it would make more sense to just release 2 separate content items, one for Spanish and one for English, this would at least give me an indication if anybody is even buying the Spanish version...

What you folks do with your localized apps on Ovi to maximize your exposure?
    Any thoughts on this are appreciated!
    Thanks,
    Jon

Regular Contributor

Re: Localization, best practice to maximize revenue

Hi Jon,
    I've created my app in Qt and I used internationalization to build translations - Spanish, English, German, Italian, Japanese, Polish and French - there is only one file that I submited, in this one file there are these all translations. Each translation adapts automatically to phone's OS language. You can write in desctipion of your file that app is translated into some language. I would also do so, but for me in description of app in store there is not enough place. Designers of OVI STORE should change it.

Yep, thats the same as what I have done, I just wonder if thats the best approach for Ovi...
    I may try releasing a Spanish only version and see if increases sales for the app overall.
    How does the Ovi store treat these localized apps though? I would assume that if the user is browsing the store from a Spanish (or whatever language) based system they will see the Spanish translation and assume the app is available in their language, I am not sure about that though...
    Cheers,
    Jon

"I also wonder if it would make more sense to just release 2 separate content items, one for Spanish and one for English, this would at least give me an indication if anybody is even buying the Spanish version..."

The "problem" what I see with this is that the downloads are not cumulative. Let's say that the English version becomes popular it doesn't effect positively on the Spanish version. Then again I suspect that many OVI users check under the publishers name to see what other apps are for sale/download.