Discussion Board

Question ovi maps , gps, a-gps and skype

hello guys

i've come up with a list of skype supported nokia models (from skype website) with GPS capabilities

5800,c6 ,c7,e5,e71,e72 ,e90,n78,n8,n82,n85,n95,n96,x6

it seems that some requires internet connection for ovi maps, is it true? (a-gps)

which one has TRUE gps , turn-by-turn navigation without needing internet connection?

thanks in advance !

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: ovi maps , gps, a-gps and skype

Welcome to the Forum Nokia Developer discussion board, as this DiBo concentrates on development related issues, you might find more end-user problems related Dibo better suited for your query. Here's link for one: http://discussions.europe.nokia.com/

Anyway, the AGPS requires internet connection since it is using the supl server for assistance, you could disable it always, but with only normal GPS on, your positioning would take several minutes.

And AFAIK the navigation also works through internet service.

Regular Contributor

hello latest devices have inbuilt GPS....so it don't required internet connection for OVI .

But i think you will get more appropriate answer on link suggested by symbianyucca.
    nayan trivedi.

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by nayan_trivedi View Post
    hello latest devices have inbuilt GPS....so it don't required internet connection for OVI .
    The built-in GPS does not require a network connection for getting the location (as it is purely based on satellite data recived using the GPS receiver and the related antenna).

However, using A-GPS, Assisted-GPS (which requires a network connection) allows for a faster position lock (it uses cellular network informatio, and Wi-Fi/WLAN information to provide an initial and faster approximation + data of which satellites should be visible at that location at the given time). Can speed up the pinpointing of the location to seconds from what could otherwise be even 10-20 minutes.

Also, if you do not preload the maps through a PC (and the Nokia's Map Loader application), the loading the map data requires also a network connection (the phones as they ship from the factory, probably doesn't have any map data preloaded at the factory). After the map has been loaded, a network connection is not required (unless you want updated maps).

Searching for location or a service (e.g., a restaurant or a hotel etc.) might also need a network connection (the map data stored locally is not necessarily enough to find everything that the Nokia/Ovi Maps service knows about).

The network connection, when required, can be via the cellular network, or Wi-Fi/WLAN.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Preloading is a good idea if you want navigation, especially for long distances. It also seems to bring PoI-s (a large portion of them at least), then it can search offline.

I am 5800 user and it do have inbuilt gps, and its free if you download map from ovi. But it seem not too good for me, i am still using garmin as my primary gps device.
    Last edited by symbianyucca; 2011-03-09 at 14:58. Reason: removing unrelated links