Discussion Board

Question Control the orientation with "runtime.orientation"

I'm using QtSDK 1.1 beta on 64bit Linux, and I'm trying to deploy to s60v5 (5800XM).

I created a QML app using the QtCreator app wizard. It created some C++ code that it's supposed to control orientation on mobile devices.
    I used runtime.orientation in my QML files to control screen orientation.
    My results are:
    • Desktop
      • Running the app directly doesn't work: seems to not have the runtime object available, so all the layout that depends on it is in wrong places
      • Running qmlviewer with the QML file seems to work: runtime.orientation is available and I can test changes in orientation
    • Mobile device
      • Running the app directly works like running the app in the desktop: the layout that depends on runtime.orientation is in wrong places. A change in orientation in the device triggers a change of width and height only.
      • Running qmlviewer on the mobile device makes the app work "almost" like running qmlviewer on the desktop: runtime.orientation is available (and layout that depends on it is in the right places), BUT a change in orientation only changes screen size, but not changes runtime.orientation (AFAIK), so my transitions don't play, etc.

So what would be the *right* way to make an app orientation aware, so that it works on mobile devices (without resorting to qmlviewer) and can be tested easily on the desktop? (remember I'm on Linux, so no Simulator)
    Should I use QtMobility as shown in this blog post, or should I rely only on (width>height) comparisons?

Re: Control the orientation with "runtime.orientation"

For some reason, the Qt Simulator wasn't detected by QtCreator. I had to add it manually specifying the Simulator's qmake binary in Tools -> Qt4 -> Qt Versions.
    So the "can be tested easily on the desktop" part is settled.

Now, any tips on the orientation thing?

Super Contributor

You can check example coming with Qt, to see how to make QML application orientation-aware.
    http://doc.qt.nokia.com/latest/decla...ientation.html

Thanks, but that doesn't work for standalone apps, only for apps executed within qmlviewer (there's no executable in that example, only qml).
    Also, that example isn't in my SDK, dunno why.

But I followed the tips from the blog I posted earlier (with minor modifications) and I successfully implemented a "runtime" object for reading orientation. With the added bonus that I don't have to modify the QML files.

Btw, I encountered what may possibly be a bug with the inverted portrait orientation:

This is the app you posted running in my 5800XM, after clicking the "Portrait Inverted" button. The Simulator rotates the screen just fine. It might be a bug with the Qt port to Symbian only.

Super Contributor

You apparently can include any QML file into your QtDeclarative application. However, runtime object is available only in QMLViewer. That's why example won't work with SDK and it was excluded. However, from this bug
    http://bugreports.qt.nokia.com/browse/QTBUG-13351
    it seems that runtime information is available for standalone applications in QtQuick 1.1