Discussion Board

Ovi Publish Symbian Sigining Developer Certificate expired, does it even matter?

In December/January I went through the cycle of entering the various agreements and T&Cs etc. to publish in Ovi Store.
    Eventually I got version 1.0 of a first Qt app released. I submitted the sis signed with the Ovi-Publish provided developer certificate.
    Now getting ready to release the next version, I ran into a problem. The Ovi-Publish provided developer certificate has expired (after only three months). I wrote back to Ovi-Publish support last week but have yet to hear back. I asked for a "refreshed" developer certificate.

I could of course just try to submit the sis that I am signing with the expired developer cert and see what happens, but I don't want to exercise Ovi QA going in with a known issue. Or does this not matter, as Ovi re-sign the app for release anyway?

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Ovi Publish Symbian Sigining Developer Certificate expired, does it even matter?

I'm not official Ovi support person, thus I don't know the excat procedures they use. anyway, for testing purposes you could use the expired one rather well, just set your dsevice's time to be within the validity of the developer certificate. Also I'm rather sure that the developer certificate you are using is not the Trust certner certificate that Ovi would need to use for symbian signings, thus I'm assuming that it would also not matter. anyway, if the Ovi-Publish support fails to reply you on accepted timeframe, then just try out what the QA says on your signigns.

Re: Ovi Publish Symbian Sigining Developer Certificate expired, does it even matter?

OK, I suppose I'll take stab and shoot it up and see what comes out of QA. I am curious though if a three month "limit" on Ovi-Publish provided developer certs is the norm? I find that hard to believe. Also, the set-the-clock back trick does not work with the N8 I have in front of me.

All certificates are always limited on time, and develope certificates usually have short time for them. If I remember right Symbian developer certificates were for 6 months (or one year), haven't checked ovi ones, but you could check the certificate validity from the signed sis file, by using the signsis on command line.

Gotta say that I have not tried the date back settings with Symbian^3, though assumed that it would work, since it did work previously just fine.

I got three months out of the Ovi ones.
    Do you know the proper procedure to request new ones?
    I sent an email to the Ovi-Publish support, including the information I provided in the first go around. No response...

Quote Originally Posted by jpfeiffer View Post
    I got three months out of the Ovi ones.
    Do you know the proper procedure to request new ones?
    I sent an email to the Ovi-Publish support, including the information I provided in the first go around. No response...
    AFAIK the Ovi-Publish support should be the one that handles these ones.

Without wishing to appear to disagree with esteemed symbianyucca in any way:

My understanding is the developer certificate applies only to the developer's own test devices, the IMEIs of which were supplied to obtain the certificate.

My app was supplied to Ovi unsigned and I assumed this was correct procedure? I assume if you send it signed, they just strip off the developer certificate and re-sign with a live certificate.

Bottom line: The expiry of your developer certificate prevents you running your app on your device, it has no impact on getting the app published.

You have been unlucky on turnaround. I obtained an updated certificate from Ovi by return when I added a device.
    Last edited by rayrandom; 2011-03-10 at 07:37.

You are correct, apps should be submitted usigned. Signed files (with devcert) are also accepted and the signature stripped down. Of course that means that you can sign the app with an expired devcert as well, but there is no point in actually using one past the expiration date, you should just delete it (and uninstall it from device) to save a little disk space
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Thanks to all.
    My attitude is that I've set this up, dev certificate, smart installer wrap and all, so I'd rather just roll with it. I also like the reassurance to see everything checks out before submitting to QA. This time, I've submitted regardless, but hope to get an updated dev package soon...
    Understood that the dev certificate is stripped prior to posting an app to the store. Good to hear Ovi Store QA seems to be flexible with regards to the certs' fitness when submitted. I'll get back to the list in case I end up on the rocks.

Story's good ending:
    After a few days I've received refreshed certificates from publish support.
    The submitted content was accepted by QA and entered the process desptite the expired dev certificate.