Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

encryption of data in phone, sending it to server and decryption of it in server

Hi,

I can send GPS data to a server but now I want to first encrypt it before sending it. I have searched the forum and can find codes on how to encrypt data on the phone using JSR177. But I have some questions.

1) How do we send encrypted data to the server? I was making a http connection and using php?lat=myLat&lon=myLon kind of thing. I don't know how to do it now with encrypted data.

2) How do we decrypt data on the server? Can we use php to get data and decrypt it.

I would really like tutorials, codes or suggestions. Any starting point for me is really appreciated.

Re: encryption of data in phone, sending it to server and decryption of it in server

Hi ,

Why do you want to engript the data ?

There are some open source algorithms you can use those to encrypt as well as decrypt ..
    http://www.winterwell.com/software/TEA.php
    http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph...ing_in_Java_ME

Super Contributor

Re: encryption of data in phone, sending it to server and decryption of it in server

Regular Contributor

I think I understood how to do it on the phone. Especially this one is understandable: http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph...ing_in_Java_ME

My other question is how to decrypt it back on the server. Can anyone help me with that (whole server process if you can)?

Regular Contributor

For your php server, you can get many cipher api tool , from little effort of searching, you have to use the same secrete key to decrypt your cipher text,

But the question is how will your php server know that secret key generated by mobile client? if you pass it by URL encoded parameter, means the key is getting exposed to the outside network, and your data protection level is not very good,

So there is another method of doing that is Asymmetric key Encryption (also called public key encryption), Here i will tell you how it works, Server and Client each will have two key's one public key, and one private key.
    now server and client share there public key to each other (no mater how it share , they can share using simple getRequest parameter)
    now client encrypt data using server's public key and send it to server and now server can decrypt the data using it's own private key.
    if server needs to send data to the client than server encrypt those data using client's public key , now client can use it's private key to decrypt recieved data.

So my recommendation is to Asymmetric Cipher encryption.
    - Mekal

Super Contributor

If you want to encrypt data sent to your server, and decrypt it on the server... use HTTPS.

Graham.

If i use HTTPS in connecting phone to server, there is no special code on midlet, it ll be a server side solution? is what i said true?

Super Contributor

No, it's not a "server-side" solution. Any soution for encrypting and decrypting data must involve work done at each end. There's no point decrypting data on the server, if it was not encrypted by the device.

Correct, there is no special code at either end. You are making use of functionality already built in to the device and the webserver.

Graham.