Discussion Board

making a launcher application

Hey guys,

I am trying to write a Java2ME MIDlet that will let me open a browser on a Nokia, navigate to a forum and send the IMEI of the phone with the request for account information. The forum in question is already deployed on blackberry, android and a web based version. The reason that i need the IMEI is due to accounts being linked to a unique user id, such as the PIN on blackberry.

Currently i have a working version for this on nokia, using

platformRequest(String URL);

and some tries to resolve the IMEI with System.getProperty(); but so far i havent been able to get an imei read. My guess is that this is due to certificates.

Also each time i open the app, it requests user approval to open the page, which i don't want. is there a way to get arround that?

Do you have any suggestions or examples on how to do this properly? Currently im not using any certificates yet.

Kind regards,

Erik.
    Last edited by estolman; 2011-03-15 at 03:05.

Super Contributor

Re: making a luancher application

Welcome to Forum Nokia!

If you search the forum, you will find many discussions on both of these subjects.

Many devices will not give you their IMEI number, signed or otherwise. What device are you using?

The security prompts... you may find a setting (in the application manager of the device, for each application) that controls security prompts. Options are usually "ask each time" or "ask first time". There is no way to set these programmatically. You have to set them by hand.

If you sign the application, with a signature that the device trusts, then it might enable the option "never ask" - or it might not, and if it does, you will still need to select it by hand.

However: if the device does not trust the signature then it will refuse to install the application at all.

Signing will cost you money.

You are doing it properly.

Graham.

Re: making a launcher application

Hello Grahamhuges,

Thank you for your reply. At the moment the target of the forum is smartphones, in particular i am testing on a Nokia C3 Device, but the goal is to enable the launcher on as many nokia smartphone devices as possible. I've already been browsing the nokia forums and wiki in a solution for the problems, but so far haven't been able to find a good solution. The current solution with platforumRequest(); was my first attempt on making the launcher work, but for it to work, i need to resolve the imei of the device.

The other option i have tried is implementing the following article, which hopefully would have acted similar to a blackberry browser frame:

http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph...ser_in_Java_ME

However, i am developing with Eclipse at the moment, and i am unable to solve the errors i receive by implementing this example. At first all SWT and ERCP import statements could not be resolved by Eclipse. After some searching i have managed to fix the errors with the SWT librairy imports, but i am still stuck with the ERCP imports. i have added the ERCP plugin to eclipse, but that has not solved the error ("The import org.eclipse.ercp cannot be resolved") and searching for this error has not yet provided me with the information i need to solve the problem.

Hence i was hoping to solve the problem by getting past the confirmation message generated by platforumRequest();. The signing will be done after the launcher is confirmed as working, but if it does not solve the problems with resolving the imei on at least the C3 device (and preferable other S40 and S60 devices) and the confirmation message, it might be the better option to go for a WRT solution instead of JAVA2ME, however the preference is still in a Jave2ME solution because it is more broadly deployed.

kind regards, and thank you for replying,

Erik
    Last edited by estolman; 2011-03-15 at 03:34.

Super Contributor

Re: making a launcher application

I don't think I have much good news for you...

Quote Originally Posted by estolman View Post
    i am testing on a Nokia C3 Device, but the goal is to enable the launcher on as many nokia smartphone devices as possible.
    OK... C3 is Series 40. That's important.

The current solution with platforumRequest(); was my first attempt on making the launcher work,
    This is your only solution for launching the browser on a Series 40 device.

but for it to work, i need to resolve the imei of the device.
    You cannot get the IMEI number of a Series 40 device from your code.

At first all SWT and ERCP import statements could not be resolved by Eclipse.
    eSWT is supported only on Series 60 devices, not on any other device, including Series 40 devices.

The signing will be done after the launcher is confirmed as working, but if it does not solve the problems with resolving the imei on at least the C3 device (and preferable other S40 and S60 devices) and the confirmation message, ...
    Signing will not help you get the IMEI number on a Series 40 device.

... it might be the better option to go for a WRT solution instead of JAVA2ME
    WRT is not supported on Series 40 devices. You would have to ask in the WRT forum as to whether the IMEI number can be determined from a WRT app.

I strongly suggest you find some other way to identify a device than the IMEI number.

Graham.