Discussion Board

Exclamation Packages app Everything is too small

I packaged a widget app I have been working on and sent it to my nokia n8. Buttons are so small.
    I can hardly press them.

How do i change the size of everything to fit my n8 screen?
    like getting words, search bix and buttons bigger?

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Packages app Everything is too small

standard components are showing in their normal pixel size, thus they are really small, thus one solution would be to use components that are designed to be bigger, for example Guarana would be one like that: http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph..._for_Nokia_WRT

Hi skugpezz

I had same problem when I was making app for my N8. I was already made the whole app when I realized that every UI part are too small in my N8 screen so I decided to modify WRTkit a little bit.
    I made WRTkit to recognize screen size of current device and depending of screen size, it uses bigger UI graphics. I have zipped that modified WRTkit and made helloWorld project for Visual Studio 2008. You can download it and use HelloWorld_themed project or you can just remove WRTkit folder from your project and replace it using the one that comes in my zip package.
    Just replace original WRTkit folder the one in zip file, then app will automaticly select the correct graphics for smaller or bigger screens.

You can download it from http://kotisivu.dnainternet.net/b001...rld_themed.zip
    I think it solves your problem =)

- Vilu

Thanks guys. i am gonna do some work on it today, and let you know how it goes

Quote Originally Posted by vilu85 View Post
    Hi skugpezz

I had same problem when I was making app for my N8. I was already made the whole app when I realized that every UI part are too small in my N8 screen so I decided to modify WRTkit a little bit.
    I made WRTkit to recognize screen size of current device and depending of screen size, it uses bigger UI graphics. I have zipped that modified WRTkit and made helloWorld project for Visual Studio 2008. You can download it and use HelloWorld_themed project or you can just remove WRTkit folder from your project and replace it using the one that comes in my zip package.
    Just replace original WRTkit folder the one in zip file, then app will automaticly select the correct graphics for smaller or bigger screens.

You can download it from http://kotisivu.dnainternet.net/b001...rld_themed.zip
    I think it solves your problem =)

- Vilu
    Could you shed some light as to what part of the code handles scaling?
    I am having a hard time understanding the code.

How would I implement my existing code into this?

Quote Originally Posted by skugpezz View Post
    Could you shed some light as to what part of the code handles scaling?
    I am having a hard time understanding the code.

How would I implement my existing code into this?
    You can implement your exiting code easily, by removing your original WRTkit folder and replacing it using the one in package.
    In Visual Studio 2008 you can do it by right cliking WRTkit folder in Solution Explorer and select Delete. Visual Studio will ask you to confirm action. Then (let's assume that you have extracted that package to your desktop) you double click folder HelloWorld_themed on your desktop. You should see three files including HelloWorld_themed folder again, open it. Now you see folder named WRTkit. In Windows, not in Visual Studio, you right click WRTkit folder and Copy it. Then switch to the Visual Studio. Click once Solution Explorer, and then select from Visual Studio menu Edit -> Paste. Visual Studio copies WRTkit to the project. Now there is only one thing to do, right click WRTkit folder in Solution Menu and select Include in Widget Archive.

Now it's ready. Same WRTkit as before, with one change, If you use bigger device screen, the widget uses bigger UI components.
    In code, there are only few parts you can adjust to change size. Those parts are in the file \WRTKIT\Resources\UI.css (in my package, \WRTKIT\Resources\default\UI.css and \WRTKIT\Resources\big\UI.css) and the problem is that you cannot change just the size from UI.css file, you also have to change the size of UI component images too using Paint Shop or something.
    What my code does, it checks device screen size on init, and then it selects bigger UI components for bigger screens.

This is very hard to explain =) hope you understand what I said.
    In Visual Studio there is no option to add exiting folder to project, so that's why you need to do it in Windows using resource manager.

Let me know if you can't get modified WRTkit working.

-vilu

Nokia Developer Expert

Hi,

Just reminding that recommended sizes for buttons are:
    * 7 x 7 mm with 1 mm gaps for index finger usage
    * 8 x 8 mm with 2 mm gaps for thumb usage

http://library.forum.nokia.com/topic...86A39195A.html

Br,
    Ilkka

Hey guys sorry for my disappearance. I have just been dealing with graduation at the moment.
    I am gonna get back to this soon.