Discussion Board

app doesnt install

I got my first app publish and got a review saying that the app doesnt install on a Nokia 5800 XpressMusic. My app is Qt based, when I submit it I choose fully tested in a E71 and C7, on this family devices, if I remember correctly, I choose assumed to work, and on the remaining devices I choose don't know. I must have done something wrong because I thought, that being a Qt based app, only Qt able devices would be listed and that smart installer would take care of adding the necessary Qt dependencies. Also I have seen other app's with similar reviews. Now I will test other devices in RDA, but would like to know why this happen.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: app doesnt install

I'm not sure what the issue you want to discuss is. Nokia 5800 is supported by Ovi for Qt applications distribution, as listed at http://www.forum.nokia.com/Distribut...xhtml#article1

Check your content in Ovi to see if distribution was enabled for that device, and if something is odd with that, seek support from Ovi.

As for the installation failing, Smart Installer is pretty robust but there are still conditions in which the install may fail: no disk space on device, bad network conditions, accidental cancelling ...
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Thanks for your replay.
    I'm not sure what the issue you want to discuss is.
    All I wanted was some opinions about the subject and yours was valuable. Because I was upset, from a bad review, just saying something like "doesnt install" wich is very vague and doesnt give any clue on how to debug.
    Do you know If an error occurs due to the reasons you pointed, will the user be prompted to a clear error message ?

Nokia Developer Moderator

There are several error messages, localized. Also the user should be able to resume the install from an icon visible in the menu.
    That of course cannot ensure that all users will understand what happens.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Super Contributor

The messages are pretty cryptic, and some of them are just timed and go away before you get a chance to read them. If a naive user has difficulty with an install I can see that they'd not be able to navigate through.

Other two guys with the same phone model have downloaded the app and haven't complained, so probably it was a isolated error.

Thank guys, btw I like this Forum
    Joao