Discussion Board

Nokia Developer Expert

Buying Content IDs: VAT handling

Hi,

Changes in the Express Signed Content ID sales regarding Value Added Tax handling!

Any company in the EU area should have a VAT ID to provide at the time of purchasing Content IDs. VAT will be added to your invoice based on your location - and whether you have a VAT ID to provide when making the purchase. Additionally we will be sending you the VAT Invoice via e-mail, no matter where you are. Please find the rules of VAT handling:

If you have a VAT ID to provide at the time of the purchase:
    - buying location in Finland VAT = 23% which is included to the price of the purchase
    - buying location in EU VAT = 0%
    - buying location in non-EU VAT = 0%

If you don’t have a VAT ID to provide at the time of the purchase:
    - buying location in Finland VAT = 23% which is included to the price of the purchase
    - buying location in EU VAT = 23% which is included to the price of the purchase
    - buying location in non-EU VAT = 0%

For example:
    1. If a company from Finland with a VAT ID is buying 10 Content IDs they will be invoiced 123€.
    2. If a company from China without a VAT ID is buying 10 Content IDs they will be invoiced 100€.
    3. If a company from Germany without a VAT ID is buying 10 Content IDs they will be invoiced 123€.

Kind Regards,
    Symbian Signed team

Re: Buying Content IDs: VAT handling

Could you please explain why Finnish companies have to pay it and firms from the rest of Europe - not?

Or European companies should pay VAT themselves according to their country VAT level?

Nokia Developer Moderator

Made this thread sticky.

Perhaps it has something to do with the fact that Symbian Signed service has been moved to Nokia, which is a Finnish company. You might be able to reclaim VAT after you pay it (on a yearly/quarterly basis), at least that is how it works in Hungary when both parties are Hungarian. So taxable transactions inside a single country may work in a different way, such rules are expected to appear in the local (Finnish) laws.

Nokia Developer Expert

Hi,

Yes, the whole point here is the service transfer to Nokia. Our service sales is based in Finland.

While selling within Finland, we know how much tax to apply for Finnish companies. Other, EU-based, companies can report their 0% taxed purchases locally with the invoices we provide for their VAT ID, as per local law.
    If there is no VAT ID then we will apply the seller local VAT amount - as if the buyer was a end-consumer, not a company producing derivative products.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Value_added_tax

Disclaimer:
    I'm not a tax expert by any means and here my comment should be taken in with as much skepticism as possible. Please check your local tax legislation with your local authorities.
    I can also try to dig up a legal person to give comments if there is much confusion around the topic.

Nokia Developer Expert

Hi all,

A new issue was just brought to my attention regarding buying content IDs: after we've added the VAT handling/invoicing rules, now it is not possible to buy new content IDs if your account does not have any country information defined. You will get an error like "Sorry The page you requested cannot be accessed because of a system error. " -- Yes, I know the error is not too informative in itself.

The most obvious solution: please edit your account and include information on your location.

The most obvious solution: please edit your account and include information on your location.
    I wasn't able to find where I could enter my vat in my account settings. please explain, how should I provide my vat to be able to purchase content IDs?

Thanks!

Nokia Developer Expert

Hi,

The information is found (after logging in to your acco) under the "Account settings" tab, thats right next to the "Log out..." -link.