Discussion Board

Problems while utilizing the purchased Publisher ID

Hi,
    I am having problems while utilizing my publisher ID that I have recently bought from Trust Center .

I followed the procedure in the pdf https://www.symbiansigned.com/how_do...signed_2.5.pdf

I exported the publisher id into .pfx then used tcp12p8 tool to generate the .key and .cer and used the created files in my applications .pkg files but for some reason or the other, when I try to install the application on a nokia E71, I get the "certificate error"

Can anyone please guide me what could have gone wrong with my steps, or what are the common mistakes that people make in this process.

Regards
    Javed Ahmed

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Problems while utilizing the purchased Publisher ID

The Publisher ID is not a developer certificate, it can not be used for installing anything.
    Visit your profile on Symbian Signed, and check Open Signed Offline. That is the way to request a certificate which you can use for signing applications when developing.

OK. so then I went to the symbiansigned.com logged into my profile , clicked open signed offline

And since it was asking for the .csr file, I downloaded the Symbian developer certificate request offline tool,
    next I tried creating the .csr , I selected the publisher ID .pfx and the key that I had generated using the tcp12p8 tool , but unfortunately when I clicked next in thsi step , I got the error
    "Error while reading published ID
    reasons
    1.The publisher ID has expired
    2. The certificate is corruped.
    "
    I dont think my published ID is expired becasue I bought it just 2 months ago ,
    I dont know about the other suspicious thing which is that in the browse dialog for publisher ID it was expecting *.der,*.cer and *.pem , while the publisherId that I got exported from my IE is .pfx, can you please shed some light into this,

Getting the .pfx file is necessary, but it is just somewhere at half of the way. http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph...ymbian_Signed)

Quote Originally Posted by javed@advoss.com View Post
    OK. so then I went to the symbiansigned.com logged into my profile , clicked open signed offline

And since it was asking for the .csr file, I downloaded the Symbian developer certificate request offline tool,
    next I tried creating the .csr , I selected the publisher ID .pfx and the key that I had generated using the tcp12p8 tool , but unfortunately when I clicked next in thsi step , I got the error
    At this stage it should be cer and key that you had extracted as you mentioned above which can be used. The cer file that you extract from pfx file with the key is the publisher id-key pair. From this you use the developer certificate request tool to create the csr file.

Edit: Sorry, I didnt realize that my window was open so long. Wizard has provided the link which contains step-to-step description of how to do it.

Ok, so I followed all the steps in this url also now,
    I dont understand the last two lines that it says,
    "
    Verify that the result is the one expected and ... that's it. Your SIS file is now ready for Symbian Signed submission.

Please note that the SIS file will not install successfully until it has been processed by Symbian Signed and returned to you. "

I have verified the sis it shows the correct result,
    please someone explain to me where I have to do this symbian signed submission ,
    wasnt getting the publisher id was to get red of this online setup in the first place.

When you read the article, there is a link immediately below the title: "Category: Symbian Signed". Read that one.
    "Symbian Signed submission" happens when your application is complete, and you want to distribute it. That is the only case when you use the Publisher ID to sign something. However as you have seen already, and as the article also says, a package signed with the Publisher ID will not install.