Discussion Board

Hybrid View

Regular Contributor

QtWebkit + api.maps.ovi.com + out of memory

Hello,

we are using api.maps.ovi.com for showing a dynamic map on webpage. I have realized that webkit consumes PLENTY of RAM. Only map opening will consume 14Mb of memory. Also, map browsing will consume LOTS of RAM.

I have not found a way how stop memory consuming when you browse map. It consumes memory every time you must download new titles. At some point you run out of memory.

I have tried following code to not cache map titles in RAM. Didn't help. Any other ideas?

QWebView *webview = new QWebView(this);

webview->settings()->setMaximumPagesInCache(0);
    webview->settings()->setOfflineStorageDefaultQuota(0);
    webview->settings()->setObjectCacheCapacities(0,0,0);
    webview->settings()->setOfflineWebApplicationCacheQuota(0);

Regards,
    FoL

Super Contributor

Re: QtWebkit + api.maps.ovi.com + out of memory

Have you increased (substantially) the size of your heap? The default heap size is from another era and is woefully small for "modern" applications.

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by danhicksbyron View Post
    Have you increased (substantially) the size of your heap? The default heap size is from another era and is woefully small for "modern" applications.
    Yes I have. It is 32Mb.

Regular Contributor

Hi, first 32MB ain't lot when it comes to QtWebkit.
    I haven't used ovi.maps but as it uses (or least I make a good assumption) javascript to load the tiles they would be bound to JSObjects and thus tiles are subject to garbage collection. So, what happens if you force garbage collection e.g with timer?
    Do you know if you run OOM or GOOM (Out of Graphics memory) ? GOOM even happens only on Symbian^3 based devices.
    There is a lot of extra copying around with the images esp. if using Symbian^3 :S It has already been greatly reduced but even with QtWebkit2.1 it consumes quite a bit of memory.

EDIT:
    Also note that if using later QtWebkit and Qt Javascript virtual machine is running on it's own heap and images are store on their own heap. This means increasing epocheapsize has no effect.
    Last edited by jakoskin; 2011-03-18 at 05:07.
    http://twitter.com/#!/koshui

Regular Contributor

I have used perfmon for tracing RAM. It runs out of RAM (125Mb -> 90Mb -> out of memory).

How do you force garbage collection?

How do I know if I am using later QtWebkit and Qt Javascript?

Regards,
    FoL

Quote Originally Posted by jakoskin View Post
    Hi, first 32MB ain't lot when it comes to QtWebkit.
    I haven't used ovi.maps but as it uses (or least I make a good assumption) javascript to load the tiles they would be bound to JSObjects and thus tiles are subject to garbage collection. So, what happens if you force garbage collection e.g with timer?
    Do you know if you run OOM or GOOM (Out of Graphics memory) ? GOOM even happens only on Symbian^3 based devices.
    There is a lot of extra copying around with the images esp. if using Symbian^3 :S It has already been greatly reduced but even with QtWebkit2.1 it consumes quite a bit of memory.

EDIT:
    Also note that if using later QtWebkit and Qt Javascript virtual machine is running on it's own heap and images are store on their own heap. This means increasing epocheapsize has no effect.

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by forceoflight View Post
    I have used perfmon for tracing RAM. It runs out of RAM (125Mb -> 90Mb -> out of memory).

How do you force garbage collection?

How do I know if I am using later QtWebkit and Qt Javascript?

Regards,
    FoL
    So you run out of that 32MB. to force garbage collector you can call CollectGarbage() from javascript.
    If you can control your code you can delete single items as well. Here is some guidelines http://developer.apple.com/library/s.../Advanced.html .

Do you use Qt 4.7.2 and running on Symbian^3 ? and did you install separate QtWebkit.sis from the dir? if yes,yes and yes then you are using latest available to Symbian without building QtWebkit yourself.
    http://twitter.com/#!/koshui