Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Updata Error(share exe in Apps pkg)

All:
    I want to share a server exe in many Apps, the exe is packed in one of App pkg through follow statements

".\SerExistFlag.txt" -"C:\system\apps\SerExistFlag.txt"
    IF (NOT exists("C:\system\apps\SerExistFlag.txt"))
    "C:\symbian\9.1\S60_3rd_MR\Epoc32\release\armv5\urel\Server.exe" -"!:\sys\bin\Server.exe"
    ENDIF

when one APP1 installed, then I install next APP2, normally, IF (NOT exists("C:\system\apps\SerExistFlag.txt")) is false, it should not copy Server.exe to Phone
    but in fact, APP2 can not intall because popup "Updata Error". is there some limit in this method?
    how to share a exe in pkg? ( if it exit, skip copy exe, if not exit , copy exe to phone)
    I need you help, thank you!

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Updata Error(share exe in Apps pkg)

Why do you need the if -clause there ?, have you tried doing it without it ?

Basically since your server is only shipped with the sis file, it should not be there in the first place, and with if-clause like that any update installation propably simply removes the server, also since you have the file made in same sis, the installation of the server can definetely fail on some cases (note that it is not very clear whether the sis file is processed line-by-line ordeer, most often it is not really done that way)

Regular Contributor

[QUOTE=symbianyucca;827565]Why do you need the if -clause there ?, have you tried doing it without it ?QUOTE]
    yes, at first I shipped the exe with the sis file without if -clause, it work fine only consider one App1, The server exe is used in many Apps, I donot want to compile independent
    server exe for each APP
    ( Server_0xE0A74925.exe for APP1, Server_0xE0222222.exe for APP2, and so on), If I use same exe in each pkg, it will replace last one when install APP2,
    and often it fail, Basically the server is running always, it is unnecessary to termination the server when APP2 installing , I want to make sure only one server is in serve,
    every APP can shped the server exe, but when the server exe is exist on phone, the follow sis should not to shipped the server. So I want if -clause to achieve this need, but the idea is fail,
    how can i achieve this need ?( if it exit, skip shiped exe, if not exit , shiped exe) if I dont want to embed server sis. thank you!

if the server is used by amny apps, then I would suggest actually having it included as embedded sis file, then it would work just fine with as many sis files as you would need to included it with.

"Update error" means that a sis file tries to overwrite a file which was installed/created by someone else.
    In this specific case it is not the server, but the flag file, "C:\system\apps\SerExistFlag.txt". Consider usage of embedding instead, especially since conditional installation is not tracked as dependency. With the current approach uninstalling the first application will uninstall the server executable, and the others will stop working.