Discussion Board

Nokia projects hosting, freeware and publishing to Ovi

Hi,

Like topic says, I'm thinking to host my code in FN Projects. Software will be public, everyone can see code and then to use it if want. Is there problem when my application is done with client-server architecture, client side is made with Qt and server side is Symbian code. This also means the server part is packaged to own sis, and it will need more capabilities than client. All is bundled to one SIS file, server sis is embedded to client SIS.

But to my main question; how I should proceed if/when I want to publish in Ovi Store ?

1) Is there way to publish freeware/public applications from FN Projects to Ovi Store ?
    2) or do I need register my self as publisher and use that way ?
    3) is there problem when Qt application SIS has embedded symbian code SIS ?

One way could be just hosting code in Projects section but application needs more than user granted capabilities so signing of sis would be nice. Otherwise all who want to use should sign SIS-files somehow.

(Retired) Nokia Developer Admin.

Re: Nokia projects hosting, freeware and publishing to Ovi

Projects is not meant to be a hosting service even for free applications they should be distributed from the Ovi Store

My advice is to go to our Wiki page Guide_to_Publishing_Qt_Applications_to_the_Ovi_Store and read through that. It explains how to get free signing and Nokia Smart Installer and other items.

I think all your questions are answered in that wiki page.

Ron

Re: Nokia projects hosting, freeware and publishing to Ovi

Quote Originally Posted by Nokia Ron View Post
    Projects is not meant to be a hosting service even for free applications they should be distributed from the Ovi Store

My advice is to go to our Wiki page Guide_to_Publishing_Qt_Applications_to_the_Ovi_Store and read through that. It explains how to get free signing and Nokia Smart Installer and other items.

I think all your questions are answered in that wiki page.

Ron
    Thanks, these opens quite a lot. So, I'm thinking now to host project code itself in FN Projects but delivery of binaries is by Ovi Store.

But but, also thinking licensing of the code. Because code doesn't base to anything, instead of it, it is just my own creation. If I use LGPL/BSD license to it, can I still publish it in Ovi Store ?
    I'm not using any 3rd party libraries, only what Symbian SDK's offer so I think it is possible to publish even using some of these OpenSource licenses. Or would it be better to copyright by my name and give permission to use if asked ?

I am more looking to offer OpenSource code/application, so even you download, you can see the code from somewhere. That also means these would be free, no payment needed.