Discussion Board

Angry homescreen widget stops updating on N8

I've a problem with my widget on the N8 device. I've used setInterval() to let my widget update automatically every few minutes. This worked fine on my N97 and all the other phones for over a year now. But since the N8 got released my users report that the widget stops updating itself on the homescreen.

Any ideas how this can be resolved? Did nokia change anything concerning the timers on the new devices? How are the developers supposed to write their widgets to auto refresh?

Super Contributor

Re: homescreen widget stops updating on N8

Hi,

I suggest that you use timestamps to log when your content has been last updated. When widget is shown on home screen, inspect the timestamp value and check if the content needs to be updated.
    http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph...screen_content

Timers has have been suspended for inactive widgets since Browser 7.1.

Br,
    Ilkka

I'm aware that the widget will not update when not shown. However the widget stops updating when shown! I've implemented exactly what you described: I save the timestap for the last update, check regularly via timer if an update is needed and if that is the case, I update the widget. The problem is: this timer seems to die at some point in time. The widget updates nicely at first. But when switching to another app for several minutes (e.g. browse the web) and then go back to the homescreen, the timer callback function to check if an update is needed is no longer called at all.

Super Contributor

How about using widget.onshow event to trigger update check instead of timer? Onshow/onhide events are always triggered when switching between HS pages or when HS is sent to background / brought to foreground.

I ran some test but according to those timers work as expected. Timer is suspended when widget is not shown and resumed once widget is shown again. I couldn't reproduce situation where the timer does not continue at all after resuming to HS. Is your widget available somewhere so I could investigate this more deeply?

-Ilkka

Yes the widget is public, you can download a debug version which shows the last update time directly within the widget here:

http://comingnext.sf.net/comingNext_...pdateissue.wgz

Note that this issue does only occure on N8. And even on this device, the issue does not always occure.
    Last edited by oxidative; 2011-03-23 at 14:32.

Super Contributor

Thanks! I'll check it out.
    Looks nice btw

-Ilkka

Super Contributor

Hi,

Widget has been working flawlessly for a day (well almost a day) now. I haven't had a change to check the code yet, but I'll do it as soon as possible.

-Ilkka