Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Howto install application updates from Ovi store

Hello,
    How do customers get an update when an update of an application is available in Ovi store? Until now, I thought that it sufficies to open the Ovi store client (with correct username) and redownload the application.
    But recently I got some complaints that the updated version is not visible to the customer (e.g. no option to redownload, because the old version is already installed).

What's the best suggestion for these customers? Should they uninstall the previous installation?

Regards,

Super Contributor

Re: Howto install application updates from Ovi store

Uninstall. Then re-download, re-install.

I suppose some day Nokia might release some kind of a push/update notification mechanism with support for upgrading already installed apps, but no such thing exists for Ovi Store now.

But if application uses SQLDatabase, then by uninstalling it, will removed database too... is there any workaround?

Regular Contributor

The solution is to create the database after installation when the app starts the first time. The db should be stored outside the private app directory. - I do it this way.

Quote Originally Posted by pixsta View Post
    The solution is to create the database after installation when the app starts the first time. The db should be stored outside the private app directory. - I do it this way.
    i'm already creating db after first installation, everything is fine if i install application over existing version - db is ok, but if i uninstall application and install a new application, then db has been removed... I don't know how uninstalling process "Knows" which db must remove...

can you show how you do that - create db outside the private app directory

Note that there is some fairly low limit on how many times an app can be reinstalled before Ovi Store asks for repayment.
    I had an issue where I updated my app, but they failed to update the published version for a long time. I purchased my own app so I could see when it updated, but at some point (after around 5? attempts) it refused to update.
    Grego
    http://mpaja.com/

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by petrib View Post
    Uninstall. Then re-download, re-install.

I suppose some day Nokia might release some kind of a push/update notification mechanism with support for upgrading already installed apps, but no such thing exists for Ovi Store now.
    Many have been asking for this for ages. But it seems impossible to do...
    The lines above are the best I have to offer.If anyone of you is of more advanced knowledge, I ask for your patience and understanding! - unknown arab poet
    http://www.tamoggemon.com - Symbian blog - Windows Phone blog
    My other blogs:
    webOS blog iPhone blog BlackBerry blog Samsung bada blog Android blog

What a joke. How can anyone expect users to be this proactive? It's hard enough to get users to adopt updates in stores that provide this type of proactive notification of updates but this is absurd. I would guess that if you got 10% of your overall user base to update an installed app, you are very lucky. Essentially, any $ invested in evolving a product over time is a complete waste. Better get it right the first time!

Regular Contributor

I agree, but it's almost impossible to make a bug free app when the complexity is more than "Hello World".

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by marturi View Post
    What a joke. How can anyone expect users to be this proactive? It's hard enough to get users to adopt updates in stores that provide this type of proactive notification of updates but this is absurd. I would guess that if you got 10% of your overall user base to update an installed app, you are very lucky. Essentially, any $ invested in evolving a product over time is a complete waste. Better get it right the first time!
    Tell us news.

IMHO, the only way is to use an autoupdating service...
    The lines above are the best I have to offer.If anyone of you is of more advanced knowledge, I ask for your patience and understanding! - unknown arab poet
    http://www.tamoggemon.com - Symbian blog - Windows Phone blog
    My other blogs:
    webOS blog iPhone blog BlackBerry blog Samsung bada blog Android blog