Discussion Board

Exclamation How to recover data from N95 after format ?

Hi All,

I was facing the problem in camera. Camera start to Turn On automatically after every 5/10 second. To find out the remedy, I googled the fault and find one solution to format the phone. I was happened to be so stupid that I forgot to take the backup before format. It deleted all numbers, messages and record (calandar marking, etc) and put the phone at factory settings.

I used "Recover My Files v4" to recover the videos and images by connecting phone with my PC and treating the phone as Mass Memory. I am unable to find the numbers, sms, etc. My be these are recovered but I am not sure how to retrieve.

I wonder if any one have any clue to recover the sms, phone numbers from the formated phone. Appreciate your reply.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: How to recover data from N95 after format ?

Welcome to the Forum Nokia Developer discussion board, as this DiBo concentrates on development related issues, you might find more end-user problems related Dibo better suited for your query. Here's link for one: http://discussions.europe.nokia.com/

Anyway, I'm nearly certain that there are no tools for recovering data from formatted internal drive, anyway, the otehr dicussion baord members know the details better.

Super Contributor

There is no practical chance of recovering the contacts, SMS, etc., that were in the phone memory (instead of the memory card) after reformatting the phone. They are gone.

In theory, if the data was not overwritten yet, it might still be there, but there is no way to access it without specialized tools/hardware. A data recovery service like IBAS ( http://www.ibas.com ) might be able to do it, but it will probably cost a lot (even if they don't manage to do anything, but just for the time and effort spent attempting). And every second the phone is on and in use, more and more of the memory locations will be re-used/overwritten. So, in practical terms: No can do. Sorry.

@ symbianyucca & petrib

Thanks for your reply. As I mentioned, I recover some of it (pics & videos) through "Recover My Files v4". I am afraid, numbers, etc is also recovered but I do not know the way to retrieve it. I believe that data like this can be read through phone or Noike PC Suit but the problem is; how.

I wonder, if there is any user who has done it successfully.

Super Contributor

A data recovery app on a PC access the memory card as a FAT file system (where when a file is deleted, just its directory entry is removed, but the actual file data remains) and can recover delete files (if they haven't been overwritten).

The phone memory is not using the FAT file system, and the same tools do not apply, nor can they even access the phone memory.

PC Suite doesn't help here, either. PC Suite requires that the original data files are there and in use. After reformatting the device, there are new, empty files visible for PC Suite (i.e., nothing that PC Suite can recover).