HI All,

FYI
    http://wl4.peer360.com/b/OZ4Y0HB4qe2...sp?hl=95435764

Regards,
    Mateen Maldar
    "Whatever the mind can conceive and believe, the mind can achieve"

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: News for Symbian developers

Yes we got this as an email also, but do you have any idea how long (minimum) symbian will be there. any idea

Super Contributor

Hi,

Nope i dont have a definite answer for this question. Only nokia can answer this .

Regards,
    Mateen Maldar

Nokia Developer Champion

Alright, but I think ths is some what a good news for Symbian/Qt developers from before. what say?

Super Contributor

HI,

AFAIK, this is a transition period for both nokia and its symbian developers, while nokia has to settle its roots in mobile space,market leadership and the developers should think and go ahead with their choice of development.

Regards,
    Mateen Maldar

Super Contributor

I don't want to be an "angel of doom", but what concerns me a bit is how - despite the PR messages like the email in question - committed, motivated, or skilled, the remaining Nokia employees still working on Symbian or Qt will really (still) be after (or during) Nokia's forthcoming layoffs. (The layoffs will come for sure, once the Finnish parlamentary elections in April are over.)

As far as I know, people are leaving Nokia already now (instead of waiting to see what comes out of it, or until they're laid off), and in some cases it might be - from Nokia's point of view - also "critical resources" (or even teams) that are hard to replace (at least hard to do so fast). I fear/suspect that the best will leave now, or as soon as they are able to (if they're not gone already), given that for good developers working on something that they know doesn't have a future is probably not very motivating. If the Nokia employees wait for the "big layoffs", then there'll be much more competition for the local jobs than there is now, if Nokia puts thousands of employees on the streets at the same time in a relatively small country - population-wise - like Finland. (One of the reasons why the layoffs won't come until after the local parlamentary elections.)

When Nokia really starts with the layoffs, there'll be a lot of confusion regarding responsibilities (who is supposed to do and what; and shifting responsibilities and reorganization will lead to situations where groups of people that thought they were responsible for something find that they're responsible for something totally different that they don't know/understand well; and in a big reorg someone decides to lay off a team without really understanding that once they're gone, there's nobody to pick up what they were doing at all; etc.). This happens always when there are big reorgs in a big company, or when there are layoffs. Now Nokia is going to have both in bigger scale than ever.

So, the "will" to make the transition easy probably exists inside Nokia, and that is what's being communicated, but I'm personally sceptical as to whether there's the "skill" to actually make it happen as they wish/plan. Time will tell. Until then, I'll take PR messages as PR messages that express the company's desire, but not necessarily the reality.
    Last edited by petrib; 2011-03-28 at 10:18.

Super Contributor

HI,

I agree to the concerns and problems during this transition. For which we have to wait for the future to happen. Lets hope for the best till then.

Regards,
    Mateen Maldar

(Retired) Nokia Developer Admin.

I encourage everyone to read the blog. Purnima is the head of Forum Nokia I know her personally and she talks straight and openly, when she writes "All together, this means your investment in Qt is a safe choice for skill competency, monetization opportunities and brand awareness amongst our millions of users."

There is a re-organization going and it will affect Finland for the first time. If there are duplication of efforts and loss of jobs that has nothing to do with Qt developers, don't confuse those up. The reason for re-organization is to make a stronger company creating a greater demand for Qt developers.

Nokia Developer Champion

I heard that by 2012 Sybman will be fade out . By that time Nokia will only release the device (Symbian) those are in pipeline. After that will Nokia make any more Symbian device with updated OS. I am bit confuse.

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by somnathbanik View Post
    I heard that by 2012 Sybman will be fade out . By that time Nokia will only release the device (Symbian) those are in pipeline. After that will Nokia make any more Symbian device with updated OS. I am bit confuse.
    What's to be confused about? That is the case.

There'll be new Symbian models this year (2011), and there will be some, but fewer models (probably) next year (2012), and after that there'll be no more new Symbian models. Symbian based development is in the process of being ramped down in Nokia. Nokia announced that intention last month.

While Nokia does that, they will also try to release at least one Windows Phone 7 based phone this year (2011), and they plan on releasing more WP7 and probably also WP8 based phones next year (2012), and even more WP8 based phones in 2013 when there are no more new Symbian devices coming. Nokia also announced that intention last month (without mentioning specific version numbers, phone models or the number of phone models or exact schedules).

Note that while doing all that, Nokia will also try to release one MeeGo (Linux) based phone this year (2011). Whether they release any more of them after that remains to be seen. That is also something that Nokia has announced they will do.

And that is not all, Nokia is also going to release Series 30 and Series 40 based phones this year, next year, and probably for the next few years after that, too.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Somnathbanik wants to know the exact specification of the devices, the release dates, and how many units of them are going to be sold in the first 6 months, and afterwards.

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by wizard_hu_ View Post
    Somnathbanik wants to know the exact specification of the devices, the release dates, and how many units of them are going to be sold in the first 6 months, and afterwards.
    I bet that Nokia wishes that they knew that, too. ;-)

Nokia Developer Champion

I am working on Symbian S60. what would be best for me to do at this point of time, any suggesation.

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by somnathbanik View Post
    I am working on Symbian S60. what would be best for me to do at this point of time, any suggesation.
    There are too many variables/unknowns for any definite answers/recommendations.

If you're already developing a Symbian C++ app for S60, then finish it. In the meanwhile, look also into other popular platforms: Android, Apple iOS primarily. Secondarily (due to smaller global market share, RIM/BlackBerry and Windows Mobile/Windows Phone). Consider also Java (J2ME).

Nokia Developer Moderator

Now I feel a question about Qt and/or MeeGo approaching...