Discussion Board

Exclamation Signing failed with no reason

Hi,

I am express signing an 2nd edition application which is failed while submitting.

Says:-
    Sorry
    Signing of xyz.sis failed.
    Reason:
    --

Please help me.

Condition:--
    I have digitally signed my application with makesis command.
    Last edited by sunil304047; 2011-04-01 at 12:48. Reason: More Info

Re: Signing failed with no reason

Secondly if i do the signsis on that sis file that command show:-- xyz.sis is not a sis file

Please its urgent..

Nokia Developer Moderator

Got your PM, however as I wrote a couple days ago, I really do not know if there is any kind of Symbian Signing for S60 2nd edition code, express or anything else. You would need to contact someone from Symbian Signed, in fact it would have been a good idea to do so prior to any attempt to send S60 2nd edition content for signing.

I PM you because of frustration. yes i got your suggestion, mailed to the symbianSigned person, hope will get reply soon. Thanks for giving me your precious time and suggestion.

Although i mailed to the symbianSigned authority, meanwhile if anyone already faced this type of problem please share your thoughts....
    Explanation:-----
    My motive is to remove the warnings caused because of lack of signing(developer or express) in 2nd edition. Now for that i want to do the
    signing just like as in 3rd edition but when i do signsis command as:-

signsis xyz.sis xyzsigned.sis abc.cer abc.key

It gives me error as:- xyz.sis is not a sis file.

Then for that the next option i tried is, i did digitally signed the application and do the makesis command as:-

makesis xyz.pkg, now i got a xyz.sis file it runs in my mobile but when i submit my application to the symbianSigned website for application submittion, it gives me result as:-
    Sorry
    Signing of xyz.sis failed.
    Reason:
    --

reason is nothing,i assume it would be because of not doing the signsis.

Thanks,

Hi Sunil,

I'm impressed that you are still working with these 2nd edition devices, I hope you have a good market still.

The signsis tool which you are using is not suitable for signing 2nd edition sis files (SIS file format), it only works for 3rd edition and later devices (SISX file format). This is why the tool tells you that xyz.sis is not a sis file. In fact, the tool should say "is not a SISX file" but that makes little difference.

The signing of the 2nd edition sis file is done by makesis, which expects to find the signign certificate and key specified in the PKG file itself, through dedicated statement
    Code:
    ; Certificate
    *"my_certificate.key","my_certificate.cer"
    Try this and then install the file generated by makesis on your phone.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

First of all thanks for the reply Itomuta,

I'm impressed that you are still working with these 2nd edition devices
    We are making an application works with all the editions(2nd, 3rd and 5th) . For 3rd it is already signed, i have got a problem in 2nd edition signing(to remove warning).
    Try this and then install the file generated by makesis on your phone.
    I have tried that digitally signing, and that works in the phone but hey is that remove the warnings? I have not checked with full of concentratoin..
    Right now i do not have phone to check, related person have gone, will check on Monday.
    Thanks,

I just told you that signing the sis file is done differently in 2nd edition, with different tools. That does not remove the need for Symbian Signed certification if you want your application to be trusted and install without any warnings, but to get the app signed you have to use the right tools and procedures and now you are one step closer. Use your publisher ID certificate inside the PKG file then submit the file generated by makesis to Symbian Signed.

I hope that works, although I don't really remember the details of 2nd edition app signing.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Finally i have express signed my application, i was referring all the steps specified above but i was doing wrong is the key generation.I was generated key with the wrong tool(generated just like in 3rd edition)but uffff finally success in the signing.

Steps i applied while getting theh key for 2nd edition.(found these steps in one of the previous problem).
    Signing for 2nd Edition:-----
    1. Locate your .pfx file from TCT
    2. Locate the tcp12p8.bat tool provided on http://developer.symbian.com/wiki/di...n+Signed+Tools
    3. Edit the tcp12p8.bat file and remove/comment out the line if EXIST %keyFileTmp% del %keyFileTmp%
    4. Run tcp12p8.bat on the .pfx file
    5. This will produce a file <something>.key.ossl
    6. Rename this .ossl file to a .key file and use this file to sign pre v9 files instead of the original .key file
    7. In the result .ossl (or now named .key file), delete all the text that precedes the -----BEGIN RSA PRIVATE KEY-----
    8. Make a copy of your .cer file, and do the same here - delete all the text that precedes the -----BEGIN CERTIFICATE-----

Success:--
    I successfully ExpressSigned my application . Thanks all for the help

Thanks,
    Sunil Bhardwaj