Discussion Board

[moved] Qt Creator smart installer problem

Hi,

I have created a application in qt creator.(Nokia qt sdk 4.6.3) I have chosen the smart installer option for sis creation.
    When i install this sis, it does not ask me the drive in which I have to installation. It install by default to the C drive.

The normal application sis without smart installer works fine.

I have un ticked the silent installation option. But still it is not working fine.

Super Contributor

Re: Qt Creator smart installer problem

if i am not wrong usually updates doing ask for installation drive. can you try uninstalling and then installing again.

Nokia Developer Champion

can i make app with nokia qt sdk 4.7 and publish to ovi,will the same smartinstaller work for that

Super Contributor

you have to check with OVI publishers but at this time it says "No you can't"

Nokia Developer Champion

1. i know that qt quick is not possible to publish,because it needs qt4.7 , and by default it doesn't come with the device. But if i make the app with just qt c++, wll that be possible to publish app on ovi with qt4.7?
    2. If i use qt4.6.3, i believe i can upload app to ovi. And it will support all the device support qt. And for that we need to bundle smartinstaller to qt app. Is that correct?

Nokia Developer Moderator

The same Smart Installer binaries are used by both SDKs but they do have slightly different ways of generating the installer wrapper. Currently the wrapper generated by the Qt SDK 1.1 beta is known to be functional but not matching the specifications.

Bottom line, there's nothing to be gained from using the newer SDK, but it would be interesting to see the log files generated by smart installer during your test. Also the PKG files, both the template and the installer.

Update: the above answer applies to both marketing@karyatech.com and somnathbanik but the later should know after 1459 posts on this board that is not nice to hijack another user's tread with an unrelated question. Plus, for both of you, there is a forum on this board dedicated exclusively for Smart Installer issues. I'll move this thread there, I hope you will find it.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Nokia Developer Champion

oh is it , i though my question is related to this thread so though of proceeding on the same other then creating a new thread.

Maybe I missed how one's problem regarding installing always on c: drive relates to whether the same smart installer can be used for 4.7.x apps ...

In fact my previous answer does mix the two questions together since I did not noticed them being separated at fist, so to be clear:
    * @marketing@karyatech.com - use Smart Installer's logs
    * @somnathbanik - Ovi Store does not care which SDK do you use, as long as the resulting application works and has dependencies only to Qt 4.6.3 and/or Qt Mobility 1.0.2, which are the only Qt components versions currently supported. If you can do it with the Qt SDK 1.1, then do it. It would be easier to achieve this with the Nokia Qt SDK.

Now these are the correct answers for the above questions, and as you can see, the reason for the answers being so different is the fact that the questions are totally unrelated.

When in doubt, always chose the safest path. Be that choosing a final SDK over a beta one or starting a new thread rather than append to existing ones.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

I have checked the smart installer logs. I have checked the smart installer sis file. My application sis embedded in the smart installer is poiting to C: drive.

C:\private\2002CCCE\import\<App Name>.sis

After chaging the 'C' to '!'. It still does not work. When I install the smart installer even my application is installed to C:.

Do I have to manually create the smart installer wrapper using command line ?.

I have tried a few things also in qtcreator -, (Screen shot attached)

1. I took of the option silent installtion - but still does not work.
    2. Change the default drive letter - does not work

No matter what I change the installtion does not ask the drive selection option.

Whether you use the IDE or the command line tools it makes no difference, it all translates into a *.pkg file being translated into a SIS which in turn gets installed with the corresponding behavior defined for the software installer. If you install a SIS file (the wrapper) which has a !:\ line in the *.pkg script then the installer must prompt you for drive selection as long as you do not otherwise predefine the drive at installer launching time. If you install the SIS file manually, e.g. from phone's inbox, there's no way to pre-define the drive and therefore there will be a prompt. But as you can see, the IDE does have an "Installation drive" setting which says that the content of the SIS file should be installed on C:\ drive. This would clearly qualify as install drive pre-defintion and would explain why the prompt is not showing when the installation is launched from the IDE.
    -- Lucian

Re: [moved] Qt Creator smart installer problem

is this problem resolved?? i have got the same problem, smart installer not launch option to select drive for installation., i had changed my .Pkg file "!:\" . after that it ask for specific drive when i sign it with developer certificate., but my application got failed on OVI store with the same reason that it not ask specific drive for installation., please help if anyone got its solution....
    THNX

Karan Kumar

I have the same problem. Up to now all my apps were accepted installing with Qt and smart installer only to the C: drive, but the latest app installing this way suddenly isn't accepted any more. In fact, I was of the opinion that it is not possible yet to install to any other drive with Qt and smart installer. Must one upgrade to a newer smart installer ? How does one see which Smart installer version one has and which is the "currently accepted" version.

In anticipation, many thanks !

NRB

karankumar1609 and NRBrown ,

could you send me a PM with the exact error report received from Ovi Publish? Nothing has changed in the way the Smart Installer works and, whethere there is or not a drive selection prompt, it depends on several factors, not of them blockers for Smart Installer use in Ovi Store context. In fact, with Ovi Store there is never a drive selection option, instead the content is deployed always to the drive configured in Ovi Store's options as default application destionation.

Please also mention your application's name and ID on Ovi Store so I can go fetch it and analyse the SIS file myself.
    -- Lucian