Discussion Board

Memory full. Close some applications and try again at N8 Devise

Hi,

I have an application developed and tested at Symbian S60 rel. 5 (specifically at 5800 XPressMusic and 5230) the application works fine on those two phones. After publishing the app in ovi store i received some complains from N8 (a symbian ^3 device) users that on start of the app they received a message "Memory full. Close some applications and try again" although they do not have any other application open. At start up the application makes only a simple network connection in a webview panel and nothing more.

I start believing that the problem comes from the default heap allocation that the application may need which is written at .pro file. Is that possible?

Applications Dependences are:
    Code:
    ; Application that supports S60 5th edition
    [0x1028315F],0,0,0,{"S60ProductID"}
    ; Application that supports Symbian 3
    [0x20022E6D],0,0,0,{"S60ProductID"}
    ; Default dependency to Qt libraries
    (0x2001E61C), 4, 6, 3, {"Qt"}
    ; Default dependency to QtMobility libraries
    (0x2002AC89), 1, 0, 2, {"QtMobility"}
    And the lines of the .pro file that I'm afraid that are couching the problem are here, is there anything wrong at them?
    Code:
    CONFIG += mobility
    MOBILITY +=
    symbian {
    # Clear all existing pkg dependencies, header, vendor id and language line (as these are single language)
    default_deployment.pkg_prerules =

# Define language header
        languages = \
    "; Language" \
    "&EL"

# Define the package header. Note that the application name is translatable, and is declared for each
    #language in the same order as the language line. As previously, the "" are escaped using \ to satisfy the pro file syntax
    #You can use the same string for each if the value is the same in all languages
    #set UID, app name and version for sis
       packageheader = \
    "$${LITERAL_HASH}{\"MY_APP_NAME\"}, (0x********), 1,0, 2"

#NOTE: Add a vendor (company) names.
    #NOTE: The global name is mandatory for Symbian Signed and should match the name in your Symbian Signed account.
        vendorinfo = \
         "%{\"COMPANY_NAME-EL\"}" \
         ":\"COMPANY_NAME\""

# Remove all the existing platform dependencies
    #default_deployment.pkg_prerules -= pkg_platform_dependencies

#Add a dependency for just the S60 5th edition (Symbian^1) and later phones
    supported_platforms = \
    "; Application that supports S60 5th edition" \
    "[0x1028315F],0,0,0,{\"S60ProductID\"}" \
    "; Application that supports Symbian 3" \
    "[0x20022E6D],0,0,0,{\"S60ProductID\"}"

#Define the Qt component dependency. The string "Qt" can be used for all translations
    qtdependency = \
    "; Default dependency to Qt libraries" \
    "(0x2001E61C), $${QT_MAJOR_VERSION}, $${QT_MINOR_VERSION}, $${QT_PATCH_VERSION}, {\"Qt\"}"

# For smart installer, define name string in each language
    DEPLOYMENT.installer_header = \
    "$${LITERAL_HASH}{\"MY_APP_NAME Installer\"},(0x2002CCCF),1,0,1"

my_deployment.pkg_prerules += languages packageheader vendorinfo supported_platforms qtdependency
        DEPLOYMENT += my_deployment
        TARGET.UID3 = 0x********
        TARGET.CAPABILITY += NetworkServices Location ReadDeviceData
        LIBS += -lcone -leikcore -lavkon
        TARGET.EPOCSTACKSIZE = 0x14000
        TARGET.EPOCHEAPSIZE = 0x020000 0x800000
        ICON=icon.svg
    }

Sorry, for the long post. I would be more than happy to provide more information if needed.

Thanks for your time

Super Contributor

Re: Memory full. Close some applications and try again at N8 Devise

You've got a max of 8M for your heap, which is fairly small, so that shouldn't be a problem. Are you using a lot of file space?

Also, I think the N8 is one of those with limited graphic storage, and you could be running out of graphic space.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Why don't you test your app on an N8 or any other Symbian^3 device? The RDA service has several of them.
    You can then add logs and see about where in your application this condition is noticeable which may also give you a clue why.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

When you say graphic storage i guess you mean any images contained in the application.
    the images (51 as counted) extracted from the file are 1,21 MB (1.276.138 bytes) in computer.
    the packed sis file installer is 676 KB (693.048 bytes)

Most of the graphics are applied in ui stylesheets
    except the background which is set at the mainwindow and with transparency and heritage shown everywhere:
    Code:
        QPalette palette;
        palette.setBrush(this->backgroundRole(), QBrush(QImage(imgurl)));

this->setPalette(palette);
    there is no use of openGL any where in the app. Also I have a very small file text file which is created after the first run at root directory (./file.txt) it stores (3-5 lines for remembering some data). More data are downloaded from network lather by running the app but it crushes too early so there is sure not the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by ltomuta View Post
    Why don't you test your app on an N8 or any other Symbian^3 device? The RDA service has several of them.
    You can then add logs and see about where in your application this condition is noticeable which may also give you a clue why.
    Is that possible through the NokiaQtSDK? I have used RDA service before but without having access to any log files or Debug Console messages...

Quote Originally Posted by mando7stam View Post
    I have an application developed and tested at Symbian S60 rel. 5 (specifically at 5800 XPressMusic and 5230) the application works fine on those two phones. After publishing the app in ovi store i received some complains from N8 (a symbian ^3 device) users that on start of the app they received a message "Memory full. Close some applications and try again" although they do not have any other application open.
    I have exactly the same problem. It sounds for me that N8 has some problem when a relatively large memory block allocated. It makes very difficult to work with images. In my case the error commoly occurs in QPixmap("file.jpg"). I have reworked most of graphic files to reduce their sizes. Unfortunately, in Qt relatively large alloc (like 1 Mb) could occur in very arbitral places, so, it makes sense to profile your code.

Super Contributor

One point to consider: EPOCHEAPSIZE accepts two values -- max heap and increment size. If increment size it small then you can get a "fragmented" heap more readily, such that you may have several MB of heap available but no large contiguous area. Using a larger increment size isn't guaranteed to prevent fragmentation, but it helps minimize it.