Discussion Board

Re: Installation security error. Unable to Install. - Solved by changing date

Here's how I got the error "Installation security error. Unable to Install." and solved it...

I tell the full story what I was trying to do...
    I was copying contacts from Nokia 6680 to N8.
    First, I tried to make a back-up with PC Suite, but it failed: The contacts would not be copied from 6680 to the computer (in a NBU file). PC Suite just gave the error "a fatal error happened during the backup operation" error code 0x80400005.

Then, I tried the Phone Switch application, which is supposed to copy contacts to N8 from another phone. I activated the Phone Switch in the N8 (applications -> tools -> phone setup -> data transfer -> another phone).
    Phone Switch attempted, using Bluetooth, to install the required application also to the 6680. However, installation on the 6680 failed with the error: "Installation security error. Unable to Install."

Then I found the information on zolved.com discussions: The phone date (the 6680 phone's date) must be earlier than 12.6.2007! Then it worked!!! (I set the 6680's date to 1st March 2007, that made the trick)

Finally I was able to install the copier application and transfer my contacts. But why on earth is this crazy date setting thing needed, before I can install some application!?
    Unbelievable.

Nokia Developer Moderator

If it happens to be a signed application (which is not a requirement, but a possibility on S60 2nd edition too), the signature has an expiration date. However the topic of this thread was Java (so I do not know what it does here in Symbian C++ boards), and it happened 5-9 years ago (so I do not know why you picked this one to revive).
    Will cut this thread into half and move the parts into appropriate boards on 30/03.

[EDIT: Cut happened, though later. Original thread is kept and moved to the Java boards: http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...le-to-Install.]
    Last edited by wizard_hu_; 2011-04-02 at 23:27.

Thanks for your comment wizard_hu_ and thanks for moving the parts to appropriate boards.

I picked this thread by random Googling, I think
    I just wanted to share the knowledge about how to solve the error