Discussion Board

building symbien kernel

hi ..,
    i'm new to symbian development & i'm trying to build a symbian kernel .. from the open source provided by symbian last year .. but i'm getting this error

Creation Time Description Resource Path Location Type
    1301907701742 make[1]: *** No rule to make target `\S60\devices\S60_5th_Edition_SDK_v1.0\EPOC32\BUILD\Users\M.3ssaf\Desktop\TOOLBOX\Kernel_Taster_Kit_for_SEE_2009\see_kernel_kit\sf\os\kernelhwsrv\kernel\eka\EKLL\WINSCW\EKLL.WINSCW'. Stop. eka line 0 C/C++ Problem

any ideas how to fix it ..

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: building symbien kernel

The Console view may contain more complete story about the problem.
    Note that the Symbian^3 kernel will unlikely build with an S60 5th (=Symbian^1) SDK. SDK is for building applications for an already built OS.
    Check if the Taster Kit contains documentation about building, if it could really build for Windows, or for ARM only (which can be tested with QEMU).

well .. the taster kit doesn't include any documentation .. only the source files & the build files ..
    sorry i didn't get that right .. what i got is that the SDK is for an existing running OS ..
    if so ... what do i need to use these files to build the OS ?????????????????????

A Google search for symbian kernel taster kit brings this result (it is the cached version, original is not available): http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...www.google.com
    based on it, I think it is version intended for usage with QEMU.
    Note that although http://symbian.org is closed, Nokia started a new site recently, http://symbian.nokia.com, that is where these kind of things may appear (though I have not checked what it contains now).

well ... thanks for helping ..,
    i read about QEMU and i found that there's a tool called iMaker used to build ROMs' ..
    all i could find is a user guide .. but i couldn't find a download link ..
    i was wondering if you know where can i get the S60 iMaker ....,
    http://www.opda.net.cn/thread-440900-1-1.html
    this is the article i was reading

It is part of the PDT package. If it is not present in the kernel taster (though I find it a bit strange), you may have to wait. "Symbian OS Tools (coming soon)" as the site says.

Super Contributor

It may also be, that compiling the actual OS components, may required the use of ARM RVCT tools (or whatever they're called these days), rather than the GCC-E compiler that is in the developer SDKs.

Note also that you can't use Symbian^3 sources to compile OS compoents to replace/override device firmware in commercial products. I.e., if you make your own Symbian OS build for your own hardware (or some hardware for which you have the right tools to make new firmware/ROM binaries, or for an emulator environment that you can control) it is of course not a problem.

The RVCT part is sure, the cached page also mentions it "Install and configure the Symbian Kernel Taster Kit and RVCT 4.0 according to the instructions on the Symbian Wiki".
    The related Wiki page is mirrored in FN Wiki: http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph...g_ARM_RVCT_4.0

Quote Originally Posted by petrib View Post
    Note also that you can't use Symbian^3 sources to compile OS compoents to replace/override device firmware in commercial products..
    it's not for commercial development .. it's my graduation project :D i'm a graduate student in CS

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by neomaniac@live.com View Post
    it's not for commercial development .. it's my graduation project :D i'm a graduate student in CS
    What I meant: You can't take a Nokia device and install your own version/build of Symbian on it (even if it is for your own, or non-commercial purposes).

And the RVCT requirement for building the kernel might also be a deterrent, unless your school gets a free license from ARM, then RVCT costs (or did cost in the past, several thousand USD/EUR/GBP).

The "RVCT 4.0 for Symbian Foundation" product still seems to be available on the ARM site.

Quote Originally Posted by petrib View Post
    And the RVCT requirement for building the kernel might also be a deterrent, unless your school gets a free license from ARM, then RVCT costs (or did cost in the past, several thousand USD/EUR/GBP).
    so .. if it's too expensive .. how can i build the system from the open source i have .. ??
    i was using carbide C++ 2.7 , which uses the WINSCW emulator .. and since that is off the list now i'm lookin' at the QEMU though i'm still lost !!!
    and now since the RVCT is unavailable ...
    what can i do ?? .. excuse me if i sound a little bit desprate !!! i really wanna do this

(EDIT: The original version of this post was a bit different)

Let us say that you are not "desperate" enough to simply read the article referred in #8 and try it.
    Last edited by wizard_hu_; 2011-04-07 at 19:33.

This is the direct link:
    https://silver.arm.com/browse/RC402-BN-00000

BTW: You can also refer to here:
    http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawik...for_developers

it's not updated, but many parts should still be relevant for building the Kernel - Having the environment set up already, you can safely omit PDK/PDT and 'epoc32 tools required to build' stuff. You also have sources - so you can skip 'Sources' part too.

Rest of the environment setup and links to other tools (i.e. links not referring to developer.symbian.com) and build instructions should still be valid.
    Good luck.

can any one find me alive download link for symbian GCC baseline
    cause everything is shut down !!! not even one website is working