Discussion Board

Symbian SDK in Visual Studio .NET

Can I use symbian SDK with Visual Studio .NET? If so, where should I copy the files for the Application Wizard if I used the default installation of VS .NET?

I guess you cannot just reuse VS 6.0 Series 60 app wizard in VS .NET.

Probably the shortest workaround would be to generate some or all possible variants of applications using Series 60 wizard in VS 6.0, and then to reopen these project files from VS .NET.

Later you can use these project 'templates' for your new projects.

Alternatively, you could have Virtual PC or VMWare installed, with a virtual machine that contains VS 6.0 installation so that you can use app wizard from there.

And yes, good luck: the project generated by Series 60 app wizard is one of the most complicated things I've ever seen.

Actually, it's a build process itself that is clumsy:
    - six different subdirectories for project files;
    - debug/release build generated in a completely different directories far, far away (depending on your project's source directory and SDK installation directory, this can be 10+ subdirectories deep!)
    - build procedure invoking Perl scripts to generate makefiles that call other makefiles that call other Perl scripts, displacing files everywhere around...

One must be very motivated not to give up immediately.

If the idea is to make this platform adopted by developers, then it would be nice to iron this out somehow.

I have a link that shows you how to set up your Visual Studio .NET to use the SDK here it is:

http://www3.symbian.com/faq.nsf/7b54...1?OpenDocument

One of my coworkers tried it and he told me that it worked so it is worth a try. Hope this help!

Get The EPOCfromMMP wizard and try to resolve problem with it.
    It is used for creating new VC projects from MMP's file in IDE Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2002 - 2003. and VC++ 6.0
    Go to download http://wallsmedia.narod.ru/epoc/index.html

Super Contributor

Series 60 AppWizard for VS.NET

I have developed a Series 60 Application Wizard for Visual Studio.NET. You can download it for FREE from:

http://www.antonypranata.com/symbian

It is not a complete migration from Series 60 wizard for Visual C++ 6 because I developed it from scratch.

If you have comments, suggestions, questions or find bugs in the wizard, let me know.

Antony Pranata