Discussion Board

Mobile application development Beginners

Hi ,

i am new to mobile programming.
    Can anybody tell me how do we deploy software to the actual phone?

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: Mobile application development Beginners

tell me what platform you are using

i am using j2me.

Super Contributor

Put it for download on a web server, and use the phone's web browser to go to the URL of the app (.jad file).

Or: Copy the installation file to the phone using Bluetooth, and install if from the phone Inbox.

Or: Copy the installation file to a memory card, put the memory card in the phone, and launch the installation via a file manager, or the phone's application installer.

Or: Use Nokia PC Suite or Ovi Suite to install the app from a PC.

Or: Email the file as an attachment to an email address that you have configured the phone to access.

thanks petrib.

some more questions. :--

actually i am working on my final year project which is based on j2me. Its an application which is based on security of local data in the phone.

-what are the basic things we need to know to start learning j2me.?
    -to make a project in j2me ,what are the important topics that i must focus on?
    -and what do we need to know to have a JDBC connectivity between a computer a mobile phone.

waiting for the reply,
    ashlesha

Super Contributor

Start here: https://www.forum.nokia.com/Develop/...tting_started/

See also: http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.php/Category:Java_ME

And for specific issues, search the discussion boards for existing threas on the subject first: http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...?search_type=1

There are also books and tutorials about J2ME that you can easily find on the net by using, e.g., Google.

thanks very much sir.

Actually , my project is based on an application in which a sensitive data is stored on the RMS of a java enabled phone.
    A mobile application from other device wants to access this data . But as the data is sensitive ,we provide security to the data and validate the user who wants the access.

We don't want to use the internet.and there is an agent system on the mobile which will do the work of providing the security.

Can u pls help me to know the practical application which suits this scenario ? As , for a good project ,it should have a good practical approach too.
    but i am not able to identify ,, the exact situation in which this type of utility will be there. (As the RMS -record management store is of less capacity and it is also the local storage.)

Super Contributor

Are the two devices within close proximity?

If the devices support Bluetooth, that's a way for them to exchange information.

NFC (Near Field Communications) is another means, but not all devices support NFC.

Some devices also have infrared (IrDA) support for local connectivity.

If the devices are not in close proximity (neither Bluetooth, NFC or IrDA are available), then you need to use either WLAN/Wi-Fi (if the phones support it), or cellular packet data (such as GPRS).

thanks petrib sir,

pls give me some insight on accessing a data from distributed database thru a mobile .......

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by ashleshak View Post
    thanks petrib sir,

pls give me some insight on accessing a data from distributed database thru a mobile .......
    HTTP requests and responses, often with the data returned as XML is the most used mechanism (fairly easy to do, and goes through firewalls).

Depending on what programming language you wish to use, see the wiki for the most appropriate section and the networking articles: http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.php/Wiki_Home

thanks sir,

i want to make applications in the j2me platform using the NetBeans IDE. which is the best source to know programming using Netbeans ?

Also, to access data from a distributed database , i am planning to use the SMS method .......... (in the j2me platform ),,,,,,,
    will that be advantageous if i dont want to use the internet and make it easy?

Super Contributor

Also, to access data from a distributed database , i am planning to use the SMS method .......... (in the j2me platform ),,,,,,,
    will that be advantageous if i dont want to use the internet and make it easy?
    Using SMS to access a database is most probably not a wise approach.

For one, a single SMS can only carry 140 bytes of data, so any complex request requires you to send multiple SMS messages, and the response will also require receiving multiple responses. It will be costly and unreliable and all in all not very practical.

Note also, that if you do not connect a phone directly to your server, to receive and send the SMS, you need to make agreements with local network operators for SMS shortcodes and access to their SMS-C system to receive and send SMS. Also costly. Note also that SMS shortcodes work only with a specific network operator (or at most in some countries with the operators in that country), so any global solution needs you to handle each country separately/differently, or find a service provider (aggregator) that does it for you. Very expensive.

So, by far, the best way from a J2ME application to access a database is via HTTP-requests. Of course, then the phone user must have a data plan that allows WAP or full GPRS internet access (or it must be a smartphone with Wi-Fi/WLAN support).

oh , ok sir.

Sir ,will u pls guide me on the method by which we can store the data in the RMS of our phone received thru the SMS......?

Super Contributor

oh , ok sir.

Sir ,will u pls guide me on the method by which we can store the data in the RMS of our phone received thru the SMS......?
    I already pointed you to the wiki: http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.php/Category:Java_ME

Data managmement articles/examples: http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph.../Data_Articles

Messaging: http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph...aging_Articles