Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Signed Application is running in S40 device but not on S60 device

Hi
    I have signed the JAD File.

For S40 Device
    When i put the both the JAR and JAD File into the Nokia 2730 Classic.
    The Application is running perfectly with the warnings "From the trusted supplier".
    (when i see in the memory card there is only one file instead of both JAR and JAD)

For S60 Device
    When i connected through the Nokia OVI PC Suite and install the JAD File of the
    Signed Application it is running with the warnings "not from the trusted supplier"

My question is why the Signed JAD File is not running with the warnings "from the trusted supplier"?

Please help me.

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: Signed Application is running in S40 device but not on S60 device

Which certificate are you using for signing the app.

Try downloading the signed app - OTA (over-the-air) to both of your device S60 and S40.
    thanks,
    ~Amitabh
    (Champion of the Month -Aug'13)
    Follow me on my blog for Innovative Mobile Apps

Regular Contributor

Hi
    Thanks for the reply.
    I am using Verisign Certificate.

For S40
    The JAD File is not downloading with the JAD file type instead it is downloading as EXT file type.
    When i download the JAR File it is downloading and when i run it shows the warning messages. i.e "Not from the trusted supplier"

For S60
    When i try to download the JAD File when i click on the particular link it hang there(displaying the empty website)
    When i download the JAR File it is downloading and when i run it shows the warning message i.e "Not from the trusted supplier"

Note:
    I have signed only the JAD File.

Nokia Developer Champion

There could be multiple problems at work in here.

First of all a clarification. The signing information is stored only in the JAD file, but the signing information is based on the contents in the JAR file. The JAR file (read: manifest) should not contain any signing information.
    Also if you try to install the MIDlet using JAR file only, the result will be an untrusted app (like you describe). You need both JAD and JAR files to install signed MIDlets.

Download problems: Does your Web server have the correct MIME-types set for both JAR and JAD files?

Are you sure you are using the correct JAD file for installation? If the phone does not recognize the certificate used in the signing the phone should complain about it and not install the application at all.

Hartti

Regular Contributor

Hi
    Thanks for the reply.
    How to check the whether my Web Server have the correct MIMI-types set for both JAR and JAD Files?
    Please provide some information it will be useful to me.

I am sure i have uploaded the correct JAD File.
    And i have tested my phones i.e Nokia 2730 Classic and Nokia 5130 Xpress Music both the phone has the Verisign Certificate.

Please help me.

Nokia Developer Champion

How you check it depends on what kind of server you are running. this (old) article contains at least the correct MIME types
    http://developers.sun.com/mobility/m...ticles/deploy/

"For the JAD file type, set the file extension to .jad and the MIME type to text/vnd.sun.j2me.app-descriptor.
    For the JAR file type, set the file extension to .jar and the MIME type to application/java-archive."

If the device does not complain about incorrect certificate/signature and it does not install as trusted app, the JAD file you are using does not contain the signing information, or you are trying to install the app using JAR only. Could happen because a) you have incorrect JAD on the server b) somehow the phone gets an incorrect JAD from the server c) the phone contains the old, unsigned JAD file and uses that for installation instead of the signed one. etc.

Hartti