Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Smile Open GL Extension

hello , i need to use the command GL_MAX_TEXTURE_MAX_ANISOTROPY_EXT...... but its not under the general gl.h header file. So how can i use it??? and also what does extension mean and how to use glext.h from khronos.org???

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Open GL Extension

Quote Originally Posted by abhinavsingla12289 View Post
    hello , i need to use the command GL_MAX_TEXTURE_MAX_ANISOTROPY_EXT...... but its not under the general gl.h header file.
    The device also matters. The constant is present in Symbian^3 SDK, while it is not present in S60 3rd edition.
    So how can i use it??? and also what does extension mean and how to use glext.h from khronos.org???
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenGL#Extensions, read carefully, they are optional. You have to check availability in runtime prior to using any of them.

Super Contributor

Note also that S60 3rd Ed. and S60 5th Ed. based devices from Nokia, only support OpenGL ES v1.1 (most of the models support it only via software rendering libraries, but some have also hardware graphics acceleration, a GPU).

Symbian^3 based devices supprot OpenGL ES v2.0 (all with a GPU)

Regular Contributor

Sir, I am trying to run the Example3D code, which is available on the forum , on symbian ^3 but i am unsuccessful and so please tell me whether it is compatible or not to run on the symbian^3 ??? if so , then how??

Nokia Developer Moderator

"Where" are you now in the process? Compilation errors? Runtime errors? No explicit errors, just textures misbehave and everything is white?

Regular Contributor

Actually sir , my FPS got very down in the Symbian 5th edition ..... so i decided to shift onto sumbian^3..... but i am getting a lot of errors (compilation errors)....... please guide me??

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by abhinavsingla12289 View Post
    Actually sir , my FPS got very down in the Symbian 5th edition ..... so i decided to shift onto sumbian^3..... but i am getting a lot of errors (compilation errors)....... please guide me??
    S60 5th Edition (Symbian v9.4) devices from Nokia do not have any 3D graphics hardware acceleration (so OpenGL rendering is done using just software libraries), so it can be slow.

Symbian^3 based devices from Nokia do have 3D hw acceleration (a GPU, Graphics Processing Unit), so OpenGL will be much faster.

Anyway, if you don't list the compiler errors, it is a bit hard for anyone to tell you what might be wrong.

So, please post a link (URL) to the whole code/example you are trying to use, or at least post the errors and code fragments for the relevant code. If you post code in the forums, use the CODE tags so that the formatting is preserved for readability.