Discussion Board

Question Soft key button support

Hi all,

Having read through the developer API documentation we are unable to find any reference/mention of how to handle soft key scenarios. I.E., back button.

The customer example videos of xoriant (Wikipedia app) shows the user pressing the back soft key on the touch device allowing them to go back through their application. Could you please provide some insight into how we can achieve this functionality?

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: Soft key button support

please read the doc regarding mwl.switchClass and mwl.removeClass this will help you to change the view

Thanks for your response but unfortunately this does not help us solve our issue.

As mentioned in my original post we need to know how we can trigger the change to views from the soft key's.

Regular Contributor

I am not sure, but since the browser isn't hidden in any way (I think, still no S40 device to test), the softkey functionality is untouched. So no special programming needed.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Hey,
    Unfortunately, this release of web apps does not allow you to tie custom event handlers to the Back or other menu softkeys.
    http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph...Back-button.3F

This has been logged as a commonly asked feature request.

petro
    'petro
    @petrosoininen

When testing my app on a device (C3-00), the back button is active and when clicked causes an issue with the app. Is this something i need to solve within the app or will the back button not appear when the app is loaded through the OVI store?

If it is something i need to resolve in the app, please let me know what functionality the back button is executing.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Hello,

Could you please elaborate on the issue you're facing?

The 'back' button causes the browser to step back one page in the history stack, i.e. if you have a web app that renders content to a single page with multiple 'virtual views', pressing the back button takes you back to the previous web page you have visited (or the start screen, if your app is the first item in browsing session history)

petro
    'petro
    @petrosoininen

Arrow Re: Soft key button support

Quote Originally Posted by petrosoi View Post
    The 'back' button causes the browser to step back one page in the history stack, i.e. if you have a web app that renders content to a single page with multiple 'virtual views', pressing the back button takes you back to the previous web page you have visited (or the start screen, if your app is the first item in browsing session history)

petro
    As per your previous reply you mention using a single page with dynamic content and this is exactly what our application is doing.

The content is generated dynamically based on a user’s input which determines the content they see (and subsequent server calls are made via JS). I.E., user selects option A and specific content to this option is then loaded.

The problem we are encountering is that when the user hits back, they are taken to the original page but the JavaScript does not appear to be executing to give the user their options again.

This is quite a common scenario for all applications we have developed on other platforms and needs to be implemented this way for performance and user experience factors.