Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

[moved] Nokia Qt SDK 1.0 & Symbian^3

Hi all,

Is there any official way to make Qt applications for Symbian^3 for now? As I know, Qt 4.6.3 is the only Qt version that is supported for application submission to Nokia OVI Store, but it does not work on Symbian^3. From the one hand, Qt 4.7.x works well on Symbian^3, but official Nokia representative e-mailed me: "If you require Qt 4.7.1, you will need to wait a couple more weeks for the official release of the Qt SDK 1.1." From the other hand, there is a couple of Qt applications already in OVI Store that are intended for Symbian^3 and require Qt 4.7.x. So I am perplexed, can I somehow make Qt-based applications for Symbian^3 without Qt SDK 1.1 (or with it, but so that they will pass QA process), or not?

Thank you in advance.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Nokia Qt SDK 1.0 & Symbian^3

Symbian^3 devices do have the Qt 4.6 pre-installed, thus Qt 4.6 applications should work just fine with them. There are NO Qt 4.7 applications available on Ovi store at the moment, and as said already, you can develop Qt 4.7 applications and the Ovi store should be accepting them soon, thus do complete your testings with the applciation and make it ready for deployment.

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by symbianyucca View Post
    Symbian^3 devices do have the Qt 4.6 pre-installed, thus Qt 4.6 applications should work just fine with them. There are NO Qt 4.7 applications available on Ovi store at the moment, and as said already, you can develop Qt 4.7 applications and the Ovi store should be accepting them soon, thus do complete your testings with the applciation and make it ready for deployment.
    So, if I understand the things correctly, I should just build SIS file with Qt 4.6.3 dependencies using Qt SDK 1.0, pack it into Smart Installer and this file should install and run just fine both on Symbian 9.4 and Symbian^3 devices?

Qt 4.6 is also supported by 3rd edition devices, and there are some 3rd ed FP2 devices also supporting Qt on Ovi store, thus yes, if you want to publish today, that would be your option to do it.

and if you want to build for Qt 4.7, then you would have the option on waiting to get them publiched for Symbian^1 (i.e. S60 5th ed, Symbian Os 9.4 etc.) as well as Symbian^3.

Regular Contributor

Qt 4.6 is also supported by 3rd edition devices, and there are some 3rd ed FP2 devices also supporting Qt on Ovi store, thus yes, if you want to publish today, that would be your option to do it.
    and if you want to build for Qt 4.7, then you would have the option on waiting to get them publiched for Symbian^1 (i.e. S60 5th ed, Symbian Os 9.4 etc.) as well as Symbian^3.
    OK, thank you! I'm new to Symbian, and I started with Qt SDK 1.1 Beta (and only then I installed Qt SDK 1.0), but it goes with Qt 4.7 and separate build targets for Symbian and Symbian^3 and it knocked me up.

Super Contributor

Use Carbide + S^3 SDK + Qt 4.6.3 for Symbian
    The lines above are the best I have to offer.If anyone of you is of more advanced knowledge, I ask for your patience and understanding! - unknown arab poet
    http://www.tamoggemon.com - Symbian blog - Windows Phone blog
    My other blogs:
    webOS blog iPhone blog BlackBerry blog Samsung bada blog Android blog

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by tamhanna View Post
    What is the advantage of this combination over Qt SDK 1.0 from Nokia?

Quote Originally Posted by tamhanna View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by lostdev View Post
    What is the advantage of this combination over Qt SDK 1.0 from Nokia?
    There's little advantage really, mainly the fact that the platform SDK has an emulator which can be used to test and debug your Qt application.
    The Qt SDK asumes that you can test the UI and most of the functionality with a lightweight simulator and that for the rest of your work you would have a device and use on device debugging.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by ltomuta View Post
    There's little advantage really, mainly the fact that the platform SDK has an emulator which can be used to test and debug your Qt application.
    The Qt SDK asumes that you can test the UI and most of the functionality with a lightweight simulator and that for the rest of your work you would have a device and use on device debugging.
    So, if I understand correctly, if I use mostly Qt classes in my application, no Symbian-specific libraries (may be just Qt Mobility) and have a real device with TRK, then there is no advantage at all?

that would be yes, you would not get any advantage on using Carbide for your Qt development on then case where your application is based mostly on Qt APIs.

Regular Contributor

that would be yes, you would not get any advantage on using Carbide for your Qt development on then case where your application is based mostly on Qt APIs.
    OK, thank you!