Discussion Board

Python ScriptShell 2.0.0 not launching on Nokia N8: Need internet?

Just looking for confirmation on this. I've installed the python runtime and the scriptshell, but when I try to launch the shell the screen fades briefly but then nothing happens. I've read in the FAQ that this is usually caused by the runtime not being installed, but it shows up on the Application Installer list and the installed apps list on the phone so I don't think that's the problem. However, I currently don't have a SIM card in the phone and so I can't connect to the internet. I read in another thread a couple people saying that this would cause python not to launch. Can anyone confirm or give an update on this? If this is the problem, is there any way to fix it? Or do I just have to wait until I get my SIM card?

BTW I've now tried the 3_2.sis and the high_capas.sis versions, and have tried installing them on both the C and E drives.

Thanks for any information.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Python ScriptShell 2.0.0 not launching on Nokia N8: Need internet?

Yes, you need a sim card and working internet connection to launch the shell on N8.
    Pankaj Nathani
    www.croozeus.com

Thanks for the info. Sucks that I was banging my head against the wall for a couple hours but at least now I know the problem.

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by croozeus View Post
    Yes, you need a sim card and working internet connection to launch the shell on N8.
    Actually, you just need an Internet connection - no SIM card is required. I can start the shell using a Wi-Fi connection on two N8 phones without SIM cards. And even if there's no Wi-Fi spot near you, you can create an 'adhoc' connection to work around this problem.

This information should be included in a stick thread and other places since this is a FAQ!

Nokia Developer Moderator

Right. Working internet connection is the actual requirement, be it from wifi or sim card.
    Pankaj Nathani
    www.croozeus.com

Quote Originally Posted by croozeus View Post
    Quick question: Is there a way to fake the internet connection please? (i.e. No wireless activity at all).
    The reason is that I would like practice with some python on my phone (offline mode) when flying transatlantic .
    Thanks

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by aDutchuser View Post
    Quick question: Is there a way to fake the internet connection please?
    With an ad-hoc connection (see answer #4).

Quote Originally Posted by AltoRetrato View Post
    With an ad-hoc connection (see answer #4).
    Thanks for the reply AltoRetrato I really appreciate your consideration and taking the time to answer.
    At least I don't feel all alone out here

But... always a but. ...I guess my real question was can I use Python ScriptShell whilst the aircraft I'm in is flying?

Not as silly as it sounds but I know I'm not allowed to use wifi or any wireless connection whilst the aircraft is flying.
    Hence wanting to use the phone in "Offline" or aircraft mode.

So I guess my real question is : Is there such a thing as a loopback connection app in symbian^3
    that does not access any wireless device but loops back to say 127.0.0.1 internally to trick the script shell into working?

Thanks

On a side note why exactly does the scriptshell always need to be online?
    I guess its due to remote shell support i.e. outputing the console to a PC etc.

Regular Contributor

my real question was can I use Python ScriptShell whilst the aircraft I'm in is flying?
    I think you can: start an ad-hoc connection before takeoff, load the shell and then turn wi-fi off. I did this on a long flight without problems. I can't recommend this procedure if you're the pilot, though.

So I guess my real question is : Is there such a thing as a loopback connection app in symbian^3
    that does not access any wireless device but loops back to say 127.0.0.1 internally to trick the script shell into working?
    Is this the one? The real question? Then my answer is: none that I'm aware of. AFAIK, you can only use radio for Internet connection (wi-fi and packet data).

On a side note why exactly does the scriptshell always need to be online?
    I think this is the real question! And oddly enough, it doesn't need to be online! This seems to happen only on the N8 or phones with the latest PIP version (and you can't downgrade it AFAIK). Looks like a bug to me.

Now, the biggest unanswered question is: where is the money?

Thanks for the answer : by the way I'm using an E7 .
    the biggest unanswered question is: where is the money? : The Banks have it maybe ????? certainly not me.

Also I've learned not to write questions late at night. real, really ,absolutely really