Discussion Board

Serious issue with new Nokia/Ovi signing of flash apps?

Hi,
    Since our Symbian signed certificate has expired, we (at mobilityCraft) have decided to save the $200 and try the new free OVI signing, as we usually publish only to the OVI store.
    So as a test app we took one of our published flash games (masterPis), improved it a bit, generated a new version, added inner-active ads (not our first app with these ads) and uploaded to OVI for signing & QA.
    Prior to uploading to OVI we have tested it on 5800, C7 & N8, all working fine when selfSigned.
    I'll also mention that the application is using the device's sensors (accelerometer).
    Anyway, the application was in the store within 2 days (!). Once we saw that, we have downloaded it for testing and found out that:
    1. The application pops the "user data" security warning (which was always removed when we used Symbian signed) on 5800, but works fine afterwards.
    2. The application does not pop the security warning on C7 & N8, BUT the accelerometer sensors are not functioning, hence - no game...
    The game was immediately removed from the store, and in the last two weeks we are trying to communicate with Nokia without success. They claim that signed Flash apps always have this security warning and they don't know why the accelerometers are not working on the new devices. Not a really a helpful answer.
    Did anyone have these issues before? Any idea? We are seriously considering switching back to the paid Symbian signed...
    I've posted this in the OVI Publish DiBo as well, so forgive me if you read it twice…
    Thanks,
    Ranco

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: Serious issue with new Nokia/Ovi signing of flash apps?

Ciao Ranco,

it might be a similar issue that I faced with an application using GPS Platform Services.
    The Online Flash Lite Packager creates a launcher with older APIs and looks like this influence how the swf is executed.
    Also the installation directoy might be another issue (private directory).

So give it a try to install on the private directory, if that does not work, then it might be the launcher app.

Alessandro

Quote Originally Posted by biskero View Post
    Ciao Ranco,

it might be a similar issue that I faced with an application using GPS Platform Services.
    The Online Flash Lite Packager creates a launcher with older APIs and looks like this influence how the swf is executed.
    Also the installation directoy might be another issue (private directory).

So give it a try to install on the private directory, if that does not work, then it might be the launcher app.

Alessandro
    Hi Alessandro,
    I'm packaging the swf with Kunerilite. Same app (without ads) packaged the same way works fine on these phones.
    The installation folder for this application is different, though. I'm installing to /private/<UID>/trusted (I saw this recommendation in one of the thread in this dibo, I think)
    I have a feeling it has to do with the way Nokia is signing apps. Something is different than the "good old" Symbian signed.
    Thanks,
    Ranco

Regular Contributor

Well, I have a flash lite app and I have had it signed by ovi and it cant even get approved. no matter what i do the q&a throw it back to me. but it works fine on it's own in the phone and it worked fine when it was paid signed. i just gave up.

Nokia Developer Champion

Hi Ranco,
    Let me raise few points :
    1- You want to say that your application works fine with accelerometer until it get signed from OVI??
    2- You must be using AS 2 & Platform Services to access accelerometer on device ? Then this issue MAY relate to a signed sis accessing platform services.
    3- Have you tried 2 different type of packaging ? this one & this one (CDocumentHandler Class). Because the best thing that help me in most cases is a stub with CDocumnentHandler class.
    4- I do published a Flash Lite 4 game embed into WRT and accessing motion sensor through it.

Best Regards,
    SajiSoft

Quote Originally Posted by sajisoft View Post
    Hi Ranco,
    Let me raise few points :
    1- You want to say that your application works fine with accelerometer until it get signed from OVI??
    I do.

2- You must be using AS 2 & Platform Services to access accelerometer on device ? Then this issue MAY relate to a signed sis accessing platform services.
    3- Have you tried 2 different type of packaging ? this one & this one (CDocumentHandler Class). Because the best thing that help me in most cases is a stub with CDocumnentHandler class.
    I'm signing all my apps using Kunerilite (including those with accelerometer) with the stub option. I didn't try both options because the stub always works for me and it doesn't have the annoying volume control issue. Anyway, the (almost) exact same game (without inner-active ads) was in OVI until recently, working fine on all devices, signed by Symbian signed. This was our first try with OVI.

4- I do published a Flash Lite 4 game embed into WRT and accessing motion sensor through it.

Best Regards,
    SajiSoft
    Well, when we tried WRT for a game we had serious performance issue (sensors buffering). Maybe in FL4 it was solved. But I still want it to work on "good old" S60v5 devices...
    Thanks,
    Ranco

Nokia Developer Champion

Hi Ranco,
    Yeah buffering issues are still there but one can solve it after constant testing. However, your issue seems to be hard to test and reproduce since OVI Signing is involved. Are u able to generate any sample that can reproduce this issue without OVI Signing like the self signing or signing with the certificate provided by OVI to test on device? If yes! then u can forward me the test samples and i will surely experiment it in my free time.

Best Regards,
    SajiSoft

Hi Ranco,
    Yeah buffering issues are still there but one can solve it after constant testing. However, your issue seems to be hard to test and reproduce since OVI Signing is involved. Are u able to generate any sample that can reproduce this issue without OVI Signing like the self signing or signing with the certificate provided by OVI to test on device? If yes! then u can forward me the test samples and i will surely experiment it in my free time.

Best Regards,
    SajiSoft
    Hi Sajid,
    Thanks for the offer. Unfortunately, it doesn't happen with selfSign nor with the test certificate. We have tested both on N8 & C7 and they work fine. Only when downloaded from OVI we found out the problem. Luckily we were fast enough to remove it after ~100 downloads only...
    Ranco

Quote Originally Posted by slimpixi View Post
    Well, I have a flash lite app and I have had it signed by ovi and it cant even get approved. no matter what i do the q&a throw it back to me. but it works fine on it's own in the phone and it worked fine when it was paid signed. i just gave up.
    Well, they promised it would be easier, didn't they ?
    I guess "there are no free lunches" applies here.

Ranco

Well, problem solved. It wasn't the signing after all - sorry for suspecting the innocents. It was the way the flash lite app was packaged into sis. When you use Flash Lite Stub, that's what you'll get!
    Why? Beats me...

Ranco