Discussion Board

QGeoPositionInfoSource always timeout

I'm having constant issues using QGeoPositionInfoSource on symbian^3. The problems is that correct position almost never arrives, instead signal updateTimeout() is emitted every time I'm calling startUpdates() method for QGeoPositionInfoSource.

1. I've tried different positioning methods and different time intervals.
    2. GPS chip is working fine because everything is alright with Ovi maps.
    3. I've had the same problems with a Qt 4.6.2 + Qt Mobility 1.0.2, switching to the new Qt SDK with a Qt 4.7.3 + Qt Mobility 1.1.2 didn't help.
    4. I've tested the same code on a Maemo N900, S60 5th (Nokia 5230) and Simulator, it has worked correctly everywhere, including indoor tests.

Code is as simple as it gets. Every time I get updateTimeout() I'm calling startUpdates() again.

So my problems is that position on symbian^3 may never arrive. In some rare situations it actually works. For example, I've checked it outside today and after a while app finally received data and showed position, but it still had a delay for a few minutes which never appears for Ovi maps application (which shows position almost instantly if A-GPS is enabled).

Does anyone else have these kind of issues?

Super Contributor

Re: QGeoPositionInfoSource always timeout

which positioning method you have used.

I've tried all three variants, but atm I'm using QGeoPositionInfoSource::AllPositioningMethods.

Some more info.

I've played with the location settings on a Nokia E7.

1. I've turned off all the positioning methods except a gsm network based location. I've launched my app and got a position instantly somewhere in my city.
    2. I've turned on all the positioning methods. No position data arrived.

I'm having the same problem with Nokia N8. Take this http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph...t_Mobility_API and use it in N8 and you'll almost never get any updates, at least not indoors.

Quote Originally Posted by infi- View Post
    I'm having the same problem with Nokia N8. Take this http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph...t_Mobility_API and use it in N8 and you'll almost never get any updates, at least not indoors.
    Looks like a bug in Qt Mobility for Symbian^3. It works outside but it doesn't detect position using A-GPS, seems that it's only using straight GPS positioning.

My workaround was to use last known position when updateTimeout() is called and restarting updates each time. In this case an app receives some decent position at start and if user goes outside he'd be positioned correctly.

I have also used GPS location in my app, but I can't get any signal indoors. However, if I use Ovi Maps it is able to locate me really fast and accurately. How is this possible? Is the phone saving the last position somewhere all the time that Ovi Maps then use? WHat should I do to get as fast and accurate positioning?
    Currently I'm using all positioning methods in my app, but I've also tried to get the position with "Location" app that came with my 5800, but it doesn't get it either indoors as Ovi Maps do.

Quote Originally Posted by Saigon_5800B View Post
    Is the phone saving the last position somewhere all the time that Ovi Maps then use?
    It does. And you can also retrieve that last known position from geo position source and use it until you get new updates with valid coordinates.

But Ovi Maps not only retrieving last known position, this app is also using other positioning methods (like A-GPS or network based location), which aren't correctly working in latest released Qt Mobility (at least that's what I think about it). What's working in Qt Mobility is a straight GPS positioning (unless it's turned off in GPS settings for the phone), so it almost never works indoor. I haven't found any workarounds to force A-GPS to work.

remy_david

Same problem here with Symbian^3 and QGeoPositionInfoSource, I always get a timeout.
    Qt is great, but it's all broken on Symbian, please Nokia fix this !

Nokia Developer Champion

Hello remy_david,

I would like to ask two questions, first what device you are using, second is what positioningmethod you set in setPreferredPositioningMethods, of your code ??