Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Question how to show a video when dialling a number

hi,
    i am creating an application that will use to show videos when dialing or receiving calls from numbers..to accomplish the part concerning receiving a call, i assigned the corresponding video as a ringtone to each person (.3gp or whatever)..but this didnt solve my problem since when i dial the number it is not showing the video on the screen..
    is there a way to accomplish that in the cell phone (show a video when dialling a number) so i can make some coding to solve the problem?
    i need something similar to assign an image to a contact..the image will be shown on receiving and dialling the number
    thank you for any help
    Regards
    Rondo

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: how to show a video when dialling a number

Think about it again for a second. The only reason assigning an image to a contact works, is that the phone application does use that image, if found, and renders it on the screen when making or receiving a call. If the same phone application does not look for and does not intend to render a video in the same scenario (thinking very likely that it would be a waste of bits and electrons) then there's nothing you can do, other than
    a) enhance the Phone application with plug-ins that do the same thing - non-public API, Symbian C++ required
    b) implement the feature yourself, in a separate process, and overlay the image on top of the phone application, in a non-intrusive way.

As for "[...] so i can make some coding to solve the problem" ... , it will likely be that you have to do a lot of coding to solve the problem.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Regular Contributor

hi ltomuta..i have made the feauture in a different process that will overlay the video on top of the phone call..but i was hoping to find a way that the video will be playing in the native way which will look more better then hiding all the call info's to show the video
    Regards Rondo

Quote Originally Posted by Rondo23 View Post
    hi ltomuta..i have made the feauture in a different process that will overlay the video on top of the phone call..but i was hoping to find a way that the video will be playing in the native way which will look more better then hiding all the call info's to show the video
    Regards Rondo
    You can try to draw it in the remaining space in an non-intrusive way.

Quote Originally Posted by kamalakshan View Post
    You can try to draw it in the remaining space in an non-intrusive way.
    the problem of course is that the size and actual place of bubble can not be determined, as well as in some devices (touch ones) the incoming call screen is actually takes the whole screen. anyway, as there is no native support, the UIs would need to be done by the developer, and getting it work will be a challenge.. One thing that will be problematic is the audio part. Basically you would need to be able to mute the incoming calls ringtone first, otherwise opening the video most likely fails.

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by symbianyucca View Post
    the problem of course is that the size and actual place of bubble can not be determined, as well as in some devices (touch ones) the incoming call screen is actually takes the whole screen. anyway, as there is no native support, the UIs would need to be done by the developer, and getting it work will be a challenge.. One thing that will be problematic is the audio part. Basically you would need to be able to mute the incoming calls ringtone first, otherwise opening the video most likely fails.
    thx yucca, i dont have probs with incoming calls, i am facing the prob with dialing numbers..i want that the video appears while dialing a number untill the user hang up or the number answer the call

Quote Originally Posted by Rondo23 View Post
    thx yucca, i dont have probs with incoming calls, i am facing the prob with dialing numbers..i want that the video appears while dialing a number untill the user hang up or the number answer the call
    there is no such native support, thus you would need to do it on your own code & own UIs, the good part is that there is no ringtone player on that time, thus the video playing should actually succeed rather nicely.