Discussion Board

publishing mixed QT & symbian C++ apps to Ovi

Hello

in this link, it says "Qt applications for Symbian devices for the Ovi Store undergo a package file inspection process during QA to ensure the application will install correctly on all the devices that support Qt"

does that mean that my app has to run on the N900 or it wont pass QA ? because my QT app has two exe's, one implemented in QT and the other in symbian c++. they communicate via IPC. so the symbian c++ exe ll not run on N900, will that mean i cant publish my app in ovi for Symbian 3 and Symbian 1 because it is not compatible with N900 ?

Even if I have one QT EXE which uses Symbian c++ API via a DLL for example, the DLL would not work on the N900,

In short, does this mean that apps which mix QT and Symbian C++ will not pass OVI QA because the symbian C++ code does not run on N900?
    Last edited by zomf; 2011-05-09 at 13:26. Reason: better title

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: publishing mixed QT & symbian C++ apps to Ovi

N900 does not "play" in this test: there is no binary compatibility between Symbian and Maemo/Meego devices, regardless of the software framework (a "Qt .exe" would not run either, if you ever decide to release your software for the N900, it will have to be rebuilt specifically for Maemo/Meego, and it will have to be packed differently - .sis abbreviates Symbian Installation System, so it is incompatible already).

Thanks a lot !

My main exe is built with carbide c++, and my other exe is built QT 4.7.3 , can my app still be considered as a QT app ? i have packaged it with smart installer and it installs and starts my main exe (symbian c++ built with carbide c++) successfully.

Also, QT 4.7.3 is not supported by S60 3rd FP1 and FP2, how does this play with this condition "Qt applications for Symbian devices for the Ovi Store undergo a package file inspection process during QA to ensure the application will install correctly on all the devices that support Qt"

Nokia Developer Moderator

Perhaps we could follow a less technical approach, but a practical one: read the guides from Distribute above, Ovi Store guidelines.
    In short: when you are publishing anything, it is you who has to mark which devices it supposed to be compatible with. No one will test the application on devices you do not support.