Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

QtWebKit and flash video on symbian phone

Is it possible to install/enable some plugin for QtWebKit on the phone in order to play flash video? Right now it is e.g on youtube.com a black rectangle with text "You need to upgrade your Adobe Flash Player to watch this video"

Super Contributor

Re: QtWebKit and flash video on symbian phone

AFAIK no it can't be done easily.

Quote Originally Posted by skumar_rao View Post
    AFAIK no it can't be done easily.
    This is a concrete case of Nokia UX problems .... on Android and iPhone as you have a yt url you can just play that .... on Nokia , using QDesktopService , it start the browser , then download , then it prompt an alert , then start the player , then after closing the player , you have to click the browser to access the menu , then close it , and finally you should be to your app....what a ux is that?
    Keep it simple, stupid
    borg - http://store.ovi.com/content/116105

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by lucarocchi View Post
    This is a concrete case of Nokia UX problems .... on Android and iPhone as you have a yt url you can just play that .... on Nokia , using QDesktopService , it start the browser , then download , then it prompt an alert , then start the player , then after closing the player , you have to click the browser to access the menu , then close it , and finally you should be to your app....what a ux is that?
    no we are not talking about default browser in nokia but QtWebKit component in Qt.

yes sure skumar_rao , i understand you are talking about qtwebkit ... what i would like to point out is that as far as i know , as programmer, there is not a simple solution to play a yt video while giving to users a smooth ux experience ,. my opinion , this is something nokia dev teams should give VERY HIGH PRIORITY...
    and that's makes me struggle to understand why that is not considered important as it should be .... at the end of the story, what users really cares , is not if the OS is Symbian or Meego or WP7, Qt mobility or whatever , that of course is important for us programmers...

Users would run a cool videoplayer with one click , then back on the application they are using ... so simple

As you are senior on Nokia dev I would like to know your point of view about
    With respect
    Keep it simple, stupid
    borg - http://store.ovi.com/content/116105