Discussion Board

programatically how to check if mobile is java enabled?

Hi ,
    I am new to j2me programming. Staring with some sample midlets.
    I wanted to check whether the Java is available on mobile and then proceed with the installation.
    are there any API's which gives me this information? Searched for the same but could not find api.

When installer is run , first it need to check if mobile is Java enabled or not. If enabled, proceed with installation , else display message accordingly.
    Pls reply.
    Thanks.

Re: programatically how to check if mobile is java enabled?

HI , there is no such way to test it but one thing is sure if you can realy install the JAR files on the phone your phone is java enabled , reply if you dont get it

Hi, Thanks for reply.
    Trying to install JAR file is one way of getting the answer. But isnt really any other way ?
    Bcoz
    If application is downloaded by user , but his phone doesnt support java , user will not be able to install it on mobile. Then it would be advisible to prompt the user that ur handset is not java enabled.
    Waiting for ur views.
    Thanks.

Nokia Developer Moderator

The browser might send it in the profile string.

Super Contributor

As such there is no inbuilt API to check this whether that Java ME is supported by the particular device or not?

It is much obvious that if the device supports the Jar file installation then Java ME is supported else not, even the device displays the dialog/error message to the user at the time of the installation.
    Thanks with Regards,

R a j - The K e r n e l

Join Delhi-NCR Nokia Developer's Community,

Super Contributor

Indirectly, yes. You can use the HTTP_USER-AGENT header to know which browser/device is connecting, and through that you can determine whether the device has Java support or not (if you have a table of user-agent strings mapped to info whether the device supports Java or not).

A ready-made database for that is, e.g., WURFL: http://wurfl.sourceforge.net/

Note, that then you do all this on server-side code (take the user-agent string, do the database lookup, and if based on the lookup the app supports Java, send the .jad/.jar to the device, otherwise return an error or a message page).

Look also up "UAProf", (an XML schema for describing the device, the user-agent, UAProf = User Agent Profile), which reveals more device-specific capabilities than just the user-agent string in itself. All the UAProf XML files are available for Nokia devices. They can be found via the Device pages, such as for https://www.forum.nokia.com/Devices/...cations/E6-00/ the UAProf file for that model from that page leades to http://nds1.nds.nokia.com/uaprof/NE6-00r100.xml