Discussion Board

Thread: App update

App update

Hi,

When I update the application after publication in OVI Store, users who have already installed the application will retain their settings, saved via widget.preferences.setItem ?

Super Contributor

Re: App update

Hi,

Have to check this from RnD. I'll let you know when I know the answer.

-Ilkka

Nokia Developer Champion

Users who already have the application downloaded and installed from Ovi Store will not even know that there is an updated version (Ovi Store does not notify users of new versions).

Ovi Store (unless things have changed lately), also does not allow to re-download and re-install (i.e., upgrade) and app that is already installed on the device. Thus, the user must first uninstall the app, and then re-download and re-install. Here, the uninstallation will also remove saved data, if the data is saved in the application's private directory. So, an app must separately support data backup and restore for its own data.

Normally, if you install an upgrade package over an already installed app, the original data is retained, but with Ovi Store it doesn't work, as it doesn't allow upgrade installations, but just uninstall and then re-install.

For users' and developers' sake, I hope Nokia fixes this soon, if it hasn't already.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Since the Series 40 web apps live in the cloud, the apps are actually represented by a URL within the launcher or Ovi Browser. Actually the advantage in this case should be that if the developer fixes a bug or update, the next time consumer open the launcher app on the phone, they will see the updated version already. No install or re-install needed. Just like any browser based web apps.

But, let's see what Ikka comes back with.

Super Contributor

Hi,

As Wai pointed out, you can work with the same Web App to push fixes etc. In this case your settings stored with setItem are still accessible after deploying your fixed Web App to server.

However if you update your widget and bump version number accordingly in config.xml, your Web App will be treated as a new Web App and you start off with a clean slate, without any user stored data.

Br,
    Ilkka