Discussion Board

Sis file was successfully installed but when clicked, nothing happens

I used Symbian Open Signed Website for open signing and installed the generated sis file to test my application in the test phone. The sis file was successfully installed but when I clicked on the icon of the app, nothing happens. Nothing really happens.

I am using Nokia QT SDK and QT 4.7. I used QT creator to generate the self signed sis file. Then, using command prompt to remove the self signed section, signsis -u symbian_selfsigned.sis symbian_unsigned.sis . Then I used the unsigned version for using Symbian Open signed website. My application requires ReadDeviceData, WriteDeviceData capabilities to send SMS.

My application works on RDA devices since I used the provided dev cert to generate sis file.

Please help. What am I doing wrong?

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Sis file was successfully installed but when clicked, nothing happens

it is most likely crashing on the start-up, thus check the panic code: http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph...ded_panic_code

Also you could use on-device-debugging with Qt Creator, and add breakpoints into the applciation to see what happens in there.

If your application works as self-signed, why are you removing the signature and user Open Signed Online? If your application does not work as self-signed, generate an unsigned version of the app instead of unsingning it, as the SDK may have still some additional processing on the SIS file, to force it be self-signable, and that may make the app unausable.

What capabilities does your application need? If you need capabilities which required more than self-signing, or if you plan to distribute your application, why don't you get yourself a developer certificate, either from Symbian Signed (not free) or from Ovi Publish (free)?
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Thank you sir for your reply. However, when I installed and run the application on the device. Nothing is shown, not even an indication that it started or a notification that it closed.

I also used the on-device debugging with QT creator and it works perfectly fine.

Quote Originally Posted by symbianyucca View Post
    it is most likely crashing on the start-up, thus check the panic code: http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph...ded_panic_code

Also you could use on-device-debugging with Qt Creator, and add breakpoints into the applciation to see what happens in there.

To my knowledge, Symbian Open signed website requires unsigned sis file. (Please do correct me if I'm wrong). I tried the suggested procedures in this thread to generate the unsigned sis file: http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...online-signing

My application requires the capabilities below:
    TARGET.CAPABILITY = NetworkServices \
    LocalServices \
    ReadUserData \
    WriteUserData \
    UserEnvironment \
    ReadDeviceData \
    WriteDeviceData

And ReadDeviceData and WriteDeviceData needs to be open-signed.

Quote Originally Posted by ltomuta View Post
    If your application works as self-signed, why are you removing the signature and user Open Signed Online? If your application does not work as self-signed, generate an unsigned version of the app instead of unsingning it, as the SDK may have still some additional processing on the SIS file, to force it be self-signable, and that may make the app unausable.

What capabilities does your application need? If you need capabilities which required more than self-signing, or if you plan to distribute your application, why don't you get yourself a developer certificate, either from Symbian Signed (not free) or from Ovi Publish (free)?

Correct. But the IDE supports an "unsigned" configuration, which outputs the SIS file ... unsigned.
    If you build a self-signed package first, you may want to read the compiler output carefully and ensure that the compiler does not remove any capabilites from the binaries, in order to make them self-signable. It should not happen anymore, but just in case, check it.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Oh! I get what you mean, thank sir for the suggestion! But when I checked it, it seems there's nothing wrong. Can I ask how do you compile your application? How do you generate unsigned sis file? In your own way. Because I'm guessing that there's just something wrong with how I generate the unsigned sis file. Since the application works on simulator and RDA devices.

Do you use makesis pkgfile [sisfile]? Which pkgfile should I use? qmake command generates 2 pkg file. Application_installer.pkg and Application_template.pkg.

Before, I tried to generate the sis files of each pkg then used them in Symbian Open signed website. However, both sis files didn't work.

Thank you sir!

The IDE can generate the SIS files for you. Look in the Projects view, in the Run settings of the Symbian target. You can specify there which certificate to be used, if any.

For command line tools, "make sis" is what you should use, with additional options to be found at http://doc.trolltech.com/latest/symb...roduction.html. It will build the SIS file based on *_template.pkg.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    -- Lucian