Discussion Board

Nokia Developer Champion

CODA and WLAN connection mode

Strange things are happens... I'm trying to connect to the new on-device debug agent from a Carbide.c++ v3.2 using TCP/IP connection.

On device side: Install "Public CODA v4.0.21" on device (trying also S^1 and S^3), start it (always got an error at first start after the device was switched on "Failed to load XTI logical device. Error Code: -1") set WLAN mode, connecting to WiFi, obtain IP and port settings (192.168.1.135, port: 65029). Ok.

On PC side (IP 192.168.1.111): create "New connection", set a connection type to "TCP/IP", enter IP address (trying 192.168.1.135 or 192.168.1.135:65029), switch to "Test connection" tab, "Initiate service testing". After that there are no any errors or messages. Label of "Initiate service testing" button just changed to "Stop service testing" and nothing happens.
    In the same time a ping to 192.168.1.135 always successful, other applications works fine with that connection.

I also tried to disable firewall, but looks like the process named "carbide.c++.3.2.exe" completely does not trying to connect to the 192.168.1.135 at all.

What could be wrong?

Thanks.
    Last edited by A.A.M.; 2011-05-12 at 17:00.

Nokia Developer Expert

Re: CODA and WLAN connection mode

Thank you for the post. Carbide does indeed support WiFi for the new CODA agent but the setup can be very tricky - especially when corporate firewalls and security services are in place. We generally recommend USB and have optimized our "plug-n-play" debug work over USB.

With that said - here are a few pointers to help you out (I don't have the product open now - and doing this at work is a problem for the reasons above)

It sounds like you are doing the right thing...

1 - from your phone - connect to a WiFi router
    2. - Open the CODA agent and select WLAN option
    3 - This SHOULD provide you an IP address and port - you need both.
    4. - Open Carbide and under the remote connections view - create a new debug service using IP.
    - Type the address above
    5. - it "should" work

The basic problem for me has been firewalls - my PC has Nokia security all over it and sometimes the IP address is block. One version of CODA would send out broadcast messages - hoping to find a Carbide IDE listening to automatically connect. Security software kills this and blocks the IP address.

You need to validate that you can ping (you did this) and perhaps there is some limited blocking going on.

Experiment a little more and let me know what you find out. This is late in the day on a Friday so can't give you more help but I will check back in on Monday. You can also collect a log file in CODA but I am not quite sure where the log is deposited - there may be something else going on.
    Mike Trujillo
    C++ Tools Product Manager
    Austin TX

Nokia Developer Champion

Thanks for response. I've tried to use a different WLAN access points, completely disable firewall and so on... It should work, but unfortunately it not work.

According an opinion by Lucian Tomuța (via Twitter):
    A.A.M.:
    Have you tried to use CODA from Carbide.c++ v3.2 using TCP/IP connection?
    ltomuta:
    Tested. CODA works over IP with Qt Creator 2.2, but not with Carbide.c++ it seems.
    You may want to create an official bug report at http://bit.ly/kuYJ3p but I did send an email to the team already

Nokia Developer Moderator

I think I have found the problem. As you can see in the attached picture Carbide.c++ 3.3 reports failure to connect to an address which has two ports in it. It would appear that although I specify my device's port in CODA's settings, Carbide's plug-in adds the default port to the address as well, resulting an invalid one.

Attached Images Attached Images
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Nokia Developer Champion

CODA + QtCreator works perfectly on the same PC. CODA + Carbide.c++ still not working. Will the bug fixed?

Nokia Developer Expert

Sorry for the delay. This appears to be a problem in the phone - (Open C Libs) but we did manage a work-around in Carbide v3.3.

Carbide v3.2 asks for a port number and the Open C code in the phone (TB 9.2 - I think this is Anna or the unannounced new version). The errant code returns 65029 which is actually an invalid port. If the user inputs 1534 is should work.

In Carbide v3.3, we actually detect the problem by trying both ports and it should work.

Carbide v3.3 is available now - the v3.2 users should be able to update now (the IDE probably is notifying the user that updates are available). Click Help --> and find the links on the bottom for updating. Let me know if you have problems.
    Mike Trujillo
    Austin TX

Nokia Developer Champion

CODA still not working with Carbide.c++ v3.3. Problems are the same as described by Lucian in post #4.

Also v3.2 and v3.3 doesn't connect to device even "If the user inputs 1534...". I've tried many times and it does not work.

IMHO, problem is not on the side of the device, because in the same time CODA works perfectly with QtCreator v2.2 on the same PC.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Indeed, Qt Creator 2.2 uses CODA just fine, with the port reported by the device client: 65029
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Nokia Developer Expert

Rechecked my answer with our engineering team - I was mistaken.

DO NOT ENTER THE PORT NUMBER. Use just the IP address when you use Carbide v3.3.

Let me know how this works out. Sorry for the confusion.

/Mike
    Carbide Product Owner
    Mike Trujillo
    Austin TX

Nokia Developer Champion

Already tried to connect without entering port numbers (both on v3.2 and v3.3 with CODA on S^1 and S^3) and unfortunately it does not work.
    And with QtCreator (+ CODA on S^1 and S^3) it works fine on the same PC.