Discussion Board

Super Contributor

MP3 and AAC streaming over HTTP on S60 5th and Symbian^3

Hi,
    What is the correct way to stream the AAC and MP3 audio over HTTP (e.g. http://netshow.play.cz:8000/Bonton32aac or http://icecast3.play.cz/bonton-128.mp3 )?

1/ I have tried the CMdaAudioPlayerUtility class, which has the OpenUrlL() method, but on devices I have tested it (e.g. N8, 5530, etc.), the call returns -5 (KErrNotSupprted).

2/ According to KIS000500 (http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph...Regional+Sites) the CMdaAudioPlayerUtility::OpenUrlL() is not supported on the S60 platform. But the information is from October 2008 and there is written it is valid for S60 3rd, while my application will be used on S60 5th and Symbian^3. So I suppose there the same limitation as well for newer OS versions. Is that correct?

3/ Can be used the CVideoPlayerUtility::OpenUrlL() instead of the CMdaAudioPlayerUtility? I have not tried it, so it might be unsupported as well or only RTSP might be supported, not HTTP... Has anybody experience with that?

4/ The other way round might be use of the CMdaAudioOutputStream. But as I understand it does not use the MMF, so it does not use audio plug-ins, but relies on DSP capabilities (used through DevSound) of the device, so the range of supported codecs/content formats is rather limited. Is that correct?

5/ Can be the use of the MPX framework an option (I have never tried this)?

BR
    STeN

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: MP3 and AAC streaming over HTTP on S60 5th and Symbian^3

HTTP is not a streaming protocol, so there is no correct way from this point of view.
    For playing .mp3 without supplying the entire file in a single step, you can get some ideas from this thread: http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...-streaming-mp3
    If the approach works (the thread is getting a bit old), it is just a matter of coding to feed chunks of data directly from some HTTP API.

Super Contributor

Hi,

Thank you for the reply. I think we might misunderstood each other - I am probably talking about the Http Live Streaming (HLS), which (!! I guess) is used for streaming the above mentioned content, while you probably mean HTTP Progressive download. Even the HLS is simpler and not a protocol in a sense of RTSP (or RTMP) then I would still call it streaming, which is widely adopted according to my understanding. But I am not en expert on this field.

Anyway I am not 100% sure about the above mentioned stream format, my guess is this might be HLS, since the same radio broadcast is used on iPhone, but I think it might be just one long endless stream of AAC/MP3 data as a response to the initial GET request... I have to clarify this first.

If the stream is HLS - do you have any tips how to handle it?

Thanks a lot,
    BR
    STeN
    Last edited by stenlik; 2011-05-19 at 05:36. Reason: Correction of the answer

Super Contributor

Hi,

I tried to investigate the stream format in more detail and after checking the Wireshark traces and IETF HLS draft I am almost 100% sure that this is not HLS as I have expected in my previous answer, but a simple aac or mpeg long response. The used streaming server is icecast, which supports that way of streaming. After the initial GET request, there come the response in form of a long stream of data:

Code:
    GET /bonton-128.mp3 HTTP/1.1
    Host: icecast3.play.cz
    User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US) AppleWebKit/533.19.4 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.3 Safari/533.19.4
    Accept: application/xml,application/xhtml+xml,text/html;q=0.9,text/plain;q=0.8,image/png,*/*;q=0.5
    Accept-Language: en-US
    Accept-Encoding: gzip, deflate
    Connection: keep-alive

HTTP/1.0 200 OK
    Content-Type: audio/mpeg
    icy-br:128
    ice-audio-info: ice-samplerate=44100;ice-bitrate=128;ice-channels=2
    icy-br:128
    icy-description:Radio Bonton
    icy-genre:Pop / Rock
    icy-name:Radio Bonton
    icy-pub:0
    icy-url:http://www.radiobonton.cz
    Server: Icecast 2.3.2
    Cache-Control: no-cache

Here are then aac or MPEG data
    Fortunately it seems to be easier to support this then HLS .m3u with the segments...
    I will go through the suggested thread and let you know if i was able to implement it.

BR
    STeN