Discussion Board

Device Driver development

I wanted to create device drivers for a S^1 phone. Where can I get the relevant libraries and headers? And internals details, if possible.

Is it possible to obtain these files? As I'm working for hacked device, I dont need a certificate with all caps.

Would it be possible to compile and use portions of the Kernel Taser Kit? I mean, resulting in workable drivers...

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Device Driver development

Quote Originally Posted by cyberd00d View Post
    I wanted to create device drivers for a S^1 phone. Where can I get the relevant libraries and headers? And internals details, if possible.
    You can find the book 'Symbian OS Internals' in the Wiki.
    However driver-level details of Nokia hardware have been never been available. Also Symbian^1 is not open source.
    Is it possible to obtain these files? As I'm working for hacked device, I dont need a certificate with all caps.
    If you hacked the device, you can access and reverse engineer its drivers. Note that this is an official Nokia discussion board, thus neither of the three (hack, access, reverse engineer) is discussed here.
    Would it be possible to compile and use portions of the Kernel Taser Kit? I mean, resulting in workable drivers...
    The driver architecture may be similar, but the details remain to be hardware-specific.

Depending on what you want to achieve exactly, you can use the Technical Support service (Support link in the bottom-left of FN pages).

Any ideas about how to obtain the kernel taser kit? It doesn't seem to be available anywhere since Symbian Foundation site was abandoned..

As wizard_hu_ said already, for access to anything not publicly available try a Technical Support request. If what you are asking for is possible, available and can be partnered, you will get access to the APIs and tools that may be needed to accomplish your task.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Quote Originally Posted by cyberd00d View Post
    Any ideas about how to obtain the kernel taser kit? It doesn't seem to be available anywhere since Symbian Foundation site was abandoned..
    I think the torrent mentioned in #8 of http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...source-anymore may be the kernel taster kit. But I am not sure about it.