Discussion Board

Show mouse pointer in screen ?

Symbian^3 atleast has support for connecting mouse to phone, works like in PC's and shows mouse pointer in screen. But how to and is there way to programmatically show mouse pointer in screen without having mouse connected ?

Does that show if generate TRawEvent/TPointerEvent or is that tied up to HID driver itself ?

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Show mouse pointer in screen ?

there would be no point to show it, since how would you be interacting with it ? anyway you could always put a semi transparent screen on top and draw the mouse cursor in it.

There might be point to show it and ways to interact it. Anyhoo, drawing own cursor could be one but since OS itself supports it, is there way to show it ?

And for the own drawing, how I can always draw my image to top of the screen. For example, there is game running, how to draw my image over game screen ?

I don't think that the OS has much to do with the mouse cursor, though gotta admit that I did not find the actual module that does the cursor, but indeed it is most likely a dll that gets loaded by the OTG-USB driver there, thus in that point in mind it would not be part of OS itself, but merely a independent add on module.

anyway, how would a user interact with a mouse, without a mouse ? are you making some retina-detection through camera, or is it based on mind reading ? Touch devices in general do not have arrow keys etc that could be generally used. Also utilizing sensors might prove to be difficult to obtain good user-experience.

With Symbian^3, where the screen is handled by Screenplay technology, I suppose you could just make a normal window, make sure it always is on top (and does not take focus), make the background transparent and draw your cursor there.. And then search for older discussions on pointer event generations.

For drawing your stuff: check this article, http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph...on_active_idle, and you can find some related discussion if something is not clear, http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...ys-on-top-icon
    For drawing the OS stuff: although officially Symbian^3 is not open source now, it was open source a couple months ago and you can find a dump on SourceForge, http://sourceforge.net/projects/symbiandump/files/