Discussion Board

Signing and J2ME apps. Do I really need to sign?

I am reading the Packaging and Signing document, and I see that J2ME apps can be distributed unsigned; however, I am also reading things that are leading me to believe that I need to have the midlet signed. My app is a simple one that does not do anything special like HTTP connections or anything else that would prompt the user for permission. Do I really need to sign my midlet to publish in the ovi store?:

-Thanks.

Re: Signing and J2ME apps. Do I really need to sign?

if the app is simple does not use network(cell id),data connections siginig can be avoided .publish your app at http://publish.ovi.com after that ovi will tell you if signing required .

Nokia Developer Moderator

If you mean "Packaging and signing" from the Distribute panel above, it starts with "Nokia signing Symbian and Java apps for free". Everything what appears in Ovi Store, has passed some quality control, which also includes signing. However Nokia can do that for you.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by farrell2k View Post
    I am reading the Packaging and Signing document, and I see that J2ME apps can be distributed unsigned; however, I am also reading things that are leading me to believe that I need to have the midlet signed. My app is a simple one that does not do anything special like HTTP connections or anything else that would prompt the user for permission. Do I really need to sign my midlet to publish in the ovi store?:

-Thanks.
    I'm revisiting this thread since it would be helpful for all to know. .sis, .jad/.jar files require signing before they can be published on the Ovi Store, otherwise users will receive a warning "Untrusted Supplier" message that can provide a negative user experience.

Please remember to provide a workflow diagram with your application along with the Application Declaration document when you upload your application to Ovi Publish. This appears to be a rather common step missed by most publishers which may delay the publishing process.

If you have any doubts on this subject, do not hesitate to shoot the Nokia Publish Support group for help.

Andrew