Discussion Board

Question $10M Calling All Innovators eligibility concerns

Now that Calling All Innovators $10M contest entrants have been published I would like to have some clarifications about eligibility. The rules say "Apps originally published to the Ovi Store for S60 5.0, S60 3.x, and/or Series 40 devices (“Legacy Apps “) that have had the Ovi Store device distribution modified after the fact to add the N8 to the device distribution for the same Ovi Store Content Item are not eligible."

Browsing briefly through application entrants I can see several apps that have been in Ovi Store for long time before any Symbian^3 phones were even announced. Then their distribution has been modified to include Symbian^3 phones and their functionality is exactly the same on Symbian^3 phones as on S60 5th edition phones for example. I understand the same sis-file can be used for Symbian^3 and older phones but at least user interface or functionality should be extended to be eligible for the competition?

To name a few random ones: JoikuSpot, Mobiola Webcam, Master Lock, Mobiscope, Night Light Pro, iSpycams, N-Desk, Speedhero. Depending how strictly you read the rules you can disqualify half on the entries.
    Then there is "CameraPro N8" that only works on Nokia N8. I know the phone was switched from Nokia N8 to C7 Astound very late, but surely also this entry should be disqualified?

I guess eligibility for entrants has been checked yet, and will only be checked if they are potential prize winners? I am afraid the winner list could be very controversial.

(Retired) Nokia Developer Admin.

Re: $10M Calling All Innovators eligibility concerns

As Martin stated we hire a company to run the contest for us. This is done so Nokia is totally impartial. I'm not sure that Nokia can tell the company how to enforce the contest rules and still be "impartial" we do need to trust that the company hired is more effective than you. I will bring this message to Martin's attention.

Ron

Nokia Developer Expert

Any app that is a potential prize winner will be checked to be 100% compliant with the rules and if found to be non-compliant will be disqualified. The validity checks thus far are limited to making sure the app works is published on Ovi Store for N8, C7 Astound, has been published for USA. and is in English. I don't understand your point about CameraPro N8. What's wrong with that one?
    Forum Nokia Product Marketing Manager

I sent an email asking about this but figured I'd post as well in this thread as others who take less risks would likely also benefit from this response.

The distribution settings for an application are under the "content item", and the last email received from the contest indicated we should no longer update our content item entry. During this time, the Nokia X7 has been released, and to add that appears to require updating the distribution in the content item. While most have not updated to support the device, likely interpreting the last email as I have, a few have added the X7 which indicates I might be missing something. Frankly, I'd like to update to support the new phone if it is indeed allowed as well.

Are we currently allowed to update our content item? If that is correct, what is the scope of the update(s) allowed (such as only adding new devices as they come or is there more allowed)? Or are those updating their distribution doing so against current rules?

EDIT: From the calling all Innovators email:

Hello, you can update your content item as you want now that it’s publicly available on Ovi Store for N8 and C7 Astound.
    Update the content item as you normally would through Ovi Publish.

Apologies if this was not made clear.
    Apparently, updates are allowed now. Good to know - will be uploading a backlogged update to my application tonight then.
    Last edited by PHDGaming; 2011-06-06 at 20:47.

Quote Originally Posted by mbarclay View Post
    I don't understand your point about CameraPro N8. What's wrong with that one?
    Nothing wrong with CameraPro N8, I think it is a great app. But as far as I understand it uses some advanced N8-specific camera features and therefore only works on Nokia N8, not on Nokia C7 (Astound).

Quote Originally Posted by PHDGaming View Post
    Apparently, updates are allowed now. Good to know - will be uploading a backlogged update to my application tonight then.
    I would like to have an official clarification for this one. Is it really true that competition entrants can be updated during tracking period? Based on some competition e-mails I understood they are not allowed.

I asked if updates to device distribution and item metadata were allowed, and the answer was "yes".

However, I would assume that updates to the sis file are disallowed. Some official clarification would be good indeed.
    -CarlosDL

Nokia Developer Expert

Hello, all potential winners are subject to verification including that their potential winning app has to have at least been updated in a meaningful way (new features, significant UI improvements, significant content expansion etc) during the contest period for the N8.

An app originally published for S60 5th Edition that has had no changes made due to the N8/Symbian^3, are not eligible and will not be winners. This means a change in the SIS file (content file) due to the N8. While the rules did state "Content Item", it's actually a sub-component of Content Item, the Content File (SIS), that has to have been modified to either deliver new features for the N8 or to enable the app to run optimally on the N8 or that use APIs available only to N8/Symbian^3 developers.
    Forum Nokia Product Marketing Manager

I think that people were more concerned about "over" updating the .sis file and was not a question of S60 5th Ed to Symbian^3 porting.

To be more clear: I have developed the application for N8 during contest period. I published it before the first deadline, I updated the .sis with new features and functionality before the last deadline. But, and here comes the question, during tracking period we noticed an inconsistency between Qt 4.6.4 / 4.7.0 and later released Qt 4.7.2 / 4.7.3. This required an update for the application and I published a new .sis file on 19th of July. Did this last update disqualified my entry? (I would say no...)

And a more important question, I would kindly ask you to answer, is: "Were all winners notified? Not receiving an e-mail means not winning?"

I am asking this because I would love attend the award ceremony, but since the travel expenses are about $5k, I will do that only either I am a winner (obviously) or if winners are not yet decided. I guess that this is the situation for many finalists not located in US. So your timely answer would be a nice gesture.
    Last edited by launic; 2011-08-09 at 08:01.

Quote Originally Posted by mbarclay View Post
    Hello, all potential winners are subject to verification including that their potential winning app has to have at least been updated in a meaningful way (new features, significant UI improvements, significant content expansion etc) during the contest period for the N8.
    Right, first we were told not to update the app ("no more changes or updates to your Ovi Store content item entry should be made") during tracking period and now afterwards we are told that we should have been updating the app.

My guess for reason they are not publishing finalists is that many finalists are not eligible as they are legacy apps. Nokia has said the competition was run by external company who obviously had no idea some finalists are not eligible. Surely all this eligibility issue is very unclear, will be interesting to see the winner list.

Quote Originally Posted by onedeveloper View Post
    Right, first we were told not to update the app ("no more changes or updates to your Ovi Store content item entry should be made") during tracking period and now afterwards we are told that we should have been updating the app.
    I got confused as well, but I believe what mbarcley is saying is that meaningful updates had to occur over the months the contest was running prior to the start of the evaluation period.

Quote Originally Posted by onedeveloper View Post
    My guess for reason they are not publishing finalists is that many finalists are not eligible as they are legacy apps. Nokia has said the competition was run by external company who obviously had no idea some finalists are not eligible. Surely all this eligibility issue is very unclear, will be interesting to see the winner list.
    To me most of the winners clearly are legacy apps. They run on older phones as well as on new Symbian^3 devices without any change in user interface or functionality between phone models. Could someone from Nokia explain why apparently all entrants were qualified even if rules say legacy apps will not be eligible?