Discussion Board

Hybrid View

Need suggestion for signing model for an application with special needs.

Hi,
    I have an application which has MultimediaDD capability, so according to the policy I need to use Certified Signing to sign my sis file.

The problem with this application is that its nature is such that for each client I have to put a special text label to describe the client , so the sis file is different for each client release and the certified signing test house requires me to pay the whole fee for each new sis file that I submit for signing, no matter what is the nature of the change.

What can be the solution to this problem? Is it possible that I put the variable text label inside a file and make the application to always read from that public place, this has a drawback , I dont want other users to have access to that file. What can be the possible and cost effective solution to this problem.

Regards
    Javed Ahmed

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Need suggestion for signing model for an application with special needs.

if you can separate the parts requiring multimediadd capability to separate sis file, then you could embed that one into another one, f.ex, make client-server architecture where the server has the capability.

How does this solve the problem , considering that the server has the capability , then the client is different for each customer, so shouldnt I still be needing to sign the client for each different customer?

Nokia Developer Moderator

if the client only requires capabilities that do not require extensive capabilities, you can use other methods, the server with Symbian Client-Server runs in separate process, thus it should work just fine.

ok I got it , thanks , I will have the variable part in the client which requires no special capabilities, and sign the server part just once, it will reduce the cost.